Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

George Medal Awarded to Catford Hero.

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by Drew5233, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

tough old bird.

Is this strictly a civilian medal?

3. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

Jeff,

By the sounds of it indeed he was...more so to find he did it on my road !

I believe the George Cross was origianly commisioned as a civilian version of the Victoria Cross due to the brave work civilians were doing during WW2 like in the Blitz for example and the George Medal for wider distribution.

I don't know from when but it is now awarded to military personel too. A few have be awarded in Iraq and Afghanistan in recent times although it's not awarded for bravery in the face of the enemy-I suspect the Military Medal would be more appropriate for those sort of acts that don't warrant a VC.

Cheers

4. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

I always wandered why service folk got the George Medal with all the recent awards mentioned. So its awarded for actions while not in contact with the enemy. I agree the military medal should be used more so than the George medal. Let the civies have their own medal. They cant get the vc so lots of us for years have associated a civilian award of it as an act up to supreme bravery. Does giving it to service folk lessen it any way to civilians maybe?

Does the Queens Gallantry medal still get awarded, I seem to remember that one being changed recently too...used to get it in police, my brother got it there, but now they give the police medal for same acts? I'm confused.

But I think the civies should have their own well deserved award of George Medal without service folk being awarded it too.

5. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

Don't get the George Cross confused with the George Medal mate.

George Cross is civilian version of the Victoria Cross.

George Medal is a non enemy contact medal available to all people for acts of bravery that are of less valour than the above criteria.

The Queens Gallantry Medal is the third civilian decoration more often than not awarded to members of public services these days.

Cheers

6. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Thats it then, I was getting confused. Tks

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Thanks guys.