Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German Binoculars

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Erich, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Thanks again Modus. Would be most interested in the optics portion of your site when up and ready. Just looking over the selction of items on e-bay last night even. some interesting stuff, but.....
    Well guys I am outta here and into the Cascades for more winter training........

See ya all Sunday night very late.

Gruß

E

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Training? Are you training to be an Alpenjager?? ;)

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Ich bin Gebirgsjäger !!!

well I can't tell you all I have done for security reasons otherwise I would have to......

ah, notice what is happening in the mountains of Afghanistan right now ; ill prepared troops, clothing and no aclimitizing done, no wonder these boys are going down the hill sicker than a dog. I have had the same thing happen on Mt. Shasta at 13,000 feet on two occassions over the last 36 years, and I swear I would not let it happen again. Carl, I have been a mountain guide for over 25 years, and I would gladly go over and teach these experten a thing or two, but I don't think the wife would stand for it.....(laughing) :D The only thing our troops can do to safely get "aquainted" with 12,000 feet and higher is just to belly it up and take what comes and stay right there in the midst of extremem conditions. After 3/4 days the mind and body will adjust. The thing of going after these crooks time and again and going higher non-stop doesn't make sense. Believe that our military is making a mistake and over-estimating our capabilites and not giving the crooks enough credit, since the area of contention is their own bloody back-yard ! :eek: :eek: so we continue to bomb the heck out of the hills, which may give us some psychological relief......any way enough of my rant. Taught a long weekend last week and another this weekend starting in 4 hours and then another one in April, high up at 8.000 feet for starts at Crater Lake. Should be about 0 to 5 degrees for the lows and about 20 for the highs, just about what it is in Afghanistan. Weird, but I love this stuff..... ;)
    As to binocs, still looking.

E

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

When I was 18, I had double Pneumonia (Sp?) and lost the usage of my left lung, plus I have Asthema and Bronchitis (at times) to boot. [​IMG] I would never make a good Gebirgsjager (unless I could ride UP the mountainside in a cable car--then I could climb down fairly easily. :D

I did do some climbing while I was in Germany with Susanne--we climbed --well she climbed to the top of Loreley Rock--I struggled halfway and was exhausted. I still had a nice view but was tired as heck.

Just THINKING of climbing a mountain makes me feel tired. [​IMG]

Heh heh heh--I get winded watching the Clint Eastwood movie: "The Eiger Sanction" (which I love to watch by the way)

I also like the Spencer Tracy movie: "The Mountain" and "Cliffhanger" with Rambo himself.

[ 07 March 2002: Message edited by: C.Evans ]</p>

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

You're descriptions pain me to no end. I am so sorry......I can't even imagine not being able to get up in the hills every 3 months or so as this is a great stress reliever for me. Can't even think tonight but it was probably when I was 6 when my dad took me on my first backpack and into the Sierra's of southern California. Just love it. Any way to get the internals repaired in any form ? When we went ot Bermany/Austira back in 1980 our tour group was around 42, 3/4's of the folks were 75 and above so my wife, brother and I did a lot of babysitting and the Kiser Alpen and Zugspitze, etc, made me drool and a promise was made to return whenever I could with the gear. hasn't happened yet but hopefully one day.

E

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heh heh heh. I see your weekend spent as a Gebirgsjager must of went rather well then.

When next in Deutschland--go to Forsthaus Graseck--where that Gebirgejager RKT stays at--maybe you can give him a climb for his money :D

I'll tell you which Gebirgs RKT he was later. :D

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Please do my friend.

At 90 or so he would still be able to blow me off the hills...... :D

The weekend was excellent !!

E

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dont worry too much my friend [​IMG] he is only in his early 80's :D you still have plenty of time to train for the event :cool:

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Is that all ?! He would still probably run my legs off......

:D :D :D

E

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The mans so healthy that he has the energy of a teenager.