Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German helmet in this condition and authentic?

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by reidii, Mar 29, 2009.

1. reidii

reidii Member

I found this listed for sale and I was just wondering about your take is this possible or is this some repro from the 50s or 70s or something - I know the liner is not real but anyway could you give me your take as to the authenticity of an item such as this?

This is the quote from the seller...

"I am cleaning out a few things , and came across a German Helmet that my Dad purchased back in the 70's from a local German collector.
    The helmet looks to be authentic. Although I believe the liner is repro. It does have a name on the brim of the helmet scratched, and then writen over in paint marker.
    ET64 is the manufatcurers stamp
    Does not have chinstrap. "

JUST FIGURED I"D ASK ---- Thanks!:)

Attached Files:

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The helmet looks like it has been repainted. I don't know whehter it's a repro or a reconditionned one. Even the decals look a bit too new , but I could be wrong , so don't take this a a confirmation, but as an opinion only.

formerjughead likes this.
  3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Skipper could be right about it possibly being repainted. I can;t see details closely enough to say more but-if not repainted-the helmet is still a nice one. Im no expert on decals so can't say anything abou it.

Once upon a time I had a double Decals LW M-35 helmet that too was named. Mine was stolen during shipment by US post office and I firmly believe it now resides in some lazy-arsed thieving postal workers collection.

4. wolfedawg

wolfedawg Member

Bad, complete rebuilt stay away from it

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Would you care to elaborate on what's wrong with the helmet so that we all canlearn?

Best regards-C.

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Well at east we have 3 opinions now. Something else: the color of my decal is white, not yellow .

7. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I actually think that Wolfedawg is right, but it's nice to have some further info.

I agree that this helmet just doesn't look 'right' - it's too pristine, and the painting of the name is too fussy. From the photo it certainly looks like a Third Reich M-35 helmet, but for me the big give-away is the decal.

The gold-coloured decal was used by the Kriegsmarine - the Wehrmacht used a silver-grey decal.

The source I'm using for this information is Floyd Tubbs/Robert Clawson's book, 'Stahlhelm'.

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Gents, the problem with realtime "aged" decals-from what i've read and seen--is that the "White" oneswill turn a bit yellow due to age. A good friend of mine has a Double Decal example of an M-35, M-40 and a single decal M-42-in his collection. I know his M35 and M-40s show some yellowing. I think the samething happened on his DD LW Para Lid.

I've tried to get him to come back here but he refuses to because wh en he was here last-it appeared that nobody paid any real attentio to his posts and info. It's a bad shame too because-he's one of the most well-knwn and trusted collectors on the West Coast.

I forgot to mention that I have a Luftschutz Helm which has its problems. One problem being that somebody stuck onto it two repo decals one being a repo decal for the KM helmet.

9. wolfedawg

wolfedawg Member

this helmet has a repro decal, the details are not there when compared to an original. The liner is a repro and has been aged to appear authentic, even the name appear to have been done recentally to enhance. the only things original on this helmet are the liner band and shell itself.