Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German-Helmets website.,

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by C.Evans, Sep 30, 2003.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Everything you always wanted to know about German Helmets, but were afraid to ask. Go here: www.german-helmets.com/ [​IMG] :cool:

2. desertt

desertt Member

I was told you were my expert to go to to possibly get information on this helmet. A friend has this and others that he wants to sell and I am trying to help... Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks, Teresa

Attached Files:

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Teresa, I appreciate the compliment and also from whomever told you too but, im not an expert by any means. However, I cna tell you a little about this helmet because of the labels and such.

I don't know how old it is but on first look I thought it was a Fireman's Helmet. It turned out after reading the labels) that it's a Volunteer Fireman's Helmet.

This helmet is Austrian.

The paper tag identifies this as a volunteer firemans helmet, I don't know what JGLS stands for.

The black leather label is a Manufacturers Label which says that the helmet was made by the firm of: Karl F. Weinberger - which apparently was located in Vienna (Wein) Austria and the address was: Wilhelminenstrasse 20a.

The small paper tag w/ the Nr. 56 on it is the size of the helmet.

Hope this helps you?

As for values on this helmet, im not sure partly because I don't know it's age or possible rarity and also that im not a collector of Firemen's Helmets. I thought of collecting them in the past but never did. This one im kind of sure does not date back before WWII - but I could be wrong? If I recall-when I had looked at a few Imperial German and Imperial European Fireman's helmets some several years ago, this one does not appear to be older than just after the end of WWII. Most of the helmets I have seen resemble Pichelhaube helmets-which are those that have the spikes on their tops.

The thing with helmets also is that there are many many different styles so this one COULD be older but I don't think so. One reason why I don't think its from the pre WWII eras, is just the "look" of the helmet as well as the Eagle Crest on the front.

Hope I did not make things even fuzzier on this?

Take care and best regards--Carl.

4. desertt

desertt Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, yest you helped a lot. Do you know what the Eagle Crest is or where that comes from? I have not found it on any other helmet... Sincerely, Teresa

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Teresa, im not too knowledgable on such things as Crests but, i'd have to assume that it has something to do with something from Imperial Austrian times. I guess it's somekind of Royal Crest or something of that nature?

Take care and best regards--C.

6. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I wonder if it is a regional crest because the national royal crest is a double eagle.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

No telling but, your guess sounds like a good guess to me.

8. desertt

desertt Member

Thanks again for all of your help

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Quite welcome. Maybe we'll have better luck with any others you might wish to post here. ;-))