Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German Krupp L2H43

Discussion in 'German Military vehicles used during WWII' started by Jim, Dec 7, 2007.

  1. Jim

    Jim New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2006
    Messages:
    3,324
    Likes Received:
    11
    via War44
    German light trucks

    German light trucks before the outbreak of World War 11 were of commercial 4x2 design with only superstructure details to identify them as army vehicles. The Phaenomen Granit had an air-cooled engine and was used in great numbers, most specifically in the ambulance role. Although the Granit was a useful vehicle for the transport of goods and supplies on hard roads, the type's cross country ability left much to be desired. A specification for a 6x4 truck was published and the response from the Industry was immediate. Daimler-Benz had already built Its Daimler-Benz G3 6 x 4 model from 1928, many for service with the German railways Bussing-NAG of Braunschweig was also involved with Its Bussing-NAG G31, In production from 1933 to 1935 Whilst vehicles were filled as standard with petrol engines, a few diesel engines were also fitted experimentally. Daimler-Benz, Bussing-NAG and Krupp produced chassis which were also used as the basis for armoured car bodies Although a Wide range of vehicle types were still in service during the invasion of Poland the Schell programme had introduced the Idea of standard truck designs, For example the Daimler-Benz 1500A was built as the planned replacement for all current 2-ton payload types In service, many of which served in the German army for general-service use Troop carrier versions were built on the lines of heavy cars with fold-down hoods.

    The Germans made extensive use of captured light trucks and vehicles manufactured in Hungary, Czechoslovakia and France. Their own models, like the Krupp L2H43 seen here, were similar to contemporary British six-wheelers. [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Steyr of Austria built three basic types, a general-service truck, a heavy command car and a troop carrier, all powered by an air-cooled V-8 engine. Steyr also provided a 6x4 cargo Steyr Model 640, which was also produced In ambulance and command car variants, One of the most common types used during the early days of World War II was the Krupp Kfz 81 6x4, which was generally employed as an artillery tractor, a role in which It superseded the earlier Kfz 69 purpose- built artillery tractor. The Krupp Boxer, as it became known, was powered by a 4-cylinder horizontally opposed engine and had all-round independent suspension. Hungary built few vehicles; one 6x4 personnel carrier for 14 men was the Botond In Czechoslovakia Tatra produced the Tatra T92 2-tonner powered by a V-8 engine, this model was first used by the Czech army, and later by the Germans The Praga RV models were again 6x4 types, and were built as general-service trucks, wireless vehicles and command cars The Schell programme was designed to make these 6x 4 vehicles obsolete but as production of Schell types could never keep up With demand, the older models soldiered on to the end of the war, some still being used Immediately after the war in civilian hands.


    The Krupp Kfz 81 (L2H43) had an air-cooled 'Boxer' engine and an all-independent suspension; it was used in a number of different roles, including prime mover for the 20mm (0.78-in) anti-aircraft gun.

    [​IMG]


    Specification Krupp Kfz 81 [​IMG]
    Engine: one 38.8-kW (52-bhp) Krupp M304 4-cylinder engine
    Dimensions: length 4.95m (16ft 2.9in)
    Width: 1.95m (6ft 4.8in)
    Height: 2.30m (7ft 6.6in)
    Weight: 2600 kg (5,7321b)
     
  2. warhistory

    warhistory New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2012
    Messages:
    61
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    India
    via War44
    Great design for loading and carrying. It has a large space at the back portion which might be used for carrying goods or for traveling soldiers.

    [​IMG]
     

Share This Page