Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German Mass Grave Found in Volgograd

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Nov 17, 2018.

1. lwd

lwd Ace

My first impression was that it was likely a battlefield burial and the above seems to point that way. Once the possibility of it being a mass execution site is brought up though it's important to investigate that IMO. It's curious why some don't want it. Make me wonder if they think it is indeed a site with evidence of war crimes. If one believed otherwise they would welcome the research.

2. lwd

lwd Ace

If you think so why do you do it?

3. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

It is up to the Russian authorities to decide what is worth investigation and it is up to German state to ask Russia to do so. Fortunately, both the present day Russians and Germans are decent people who know what is right and what is wrong.
    What would you do? Ask Rosenstein to extend Muellers' witch hunt to Volgograd, two feet under the Russian soil? Some people have gone utterly insane.

4. lwd

lwd Ace

Sorry but no it is not. This is a matter of historical interest. While the Russian authorities should support such investigations they shouldn't hinder them.
    Certainly it is within their perview to do so but that doesn't mean that others don't have the right to do so or that such a request should be required.
    Irrelevant and to some extent at least given some recent Russian actions rather questionable. Looks like an attempt by you to establish moral superiority by way of a logical fallacy.
    ???? There's a big difference between a scholarly archeological dig and analysis of the results and a "witch hunt". I'd call for the former although some obviously don't know the difference. Again I'd suggest you look at the Battle of Whisby dig reports for an example of how it should be done (although that took place some time ago so I would expect more modern techniques).

5. Tamino

@lwd

Now, let me guess: you would appoint "independent" investigators, by all means not Russians because Russians can't be trusted. Wouldn't you? Do I adequately assume your intentions?
    Then you'd extend the scope of investigation to the whole Russia, to dig where ever your investigators want.

Are you aware that Russia isn't a vassal state? That's the central problem along the fact that Russia owns the largest chunk of soil at this planet. Empire needs that land. Hence such a violent propaganda cripples your capacity to do basic cognitive tasks.

6. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Its too bad we can't down vote/thumbs down posts on here like you can on Youtube.

GRW and George Patton like this.
  7. Tamino

@Mussolini

Nevertheless, educated exchange of views appears to be more adequate form of conversation.

On the other side, polls serve just to measure success of proliferating propaganda.

8. lwd

lwd Ace

You couldn't be more wrong. By "independent" I meant academics. Here in the states anyway there is little in the way of government or other outside influence and a lot of peer review. I'm frankly not sure how "independent" Russian academics are and indeed whether all universities are still government financed or if there are private ones there. The suppression of freedom of the press in Russia is worrysome in general but I don't think it would be a huge concern in this case.
    You assume a lot. If there is a find of historical interest it should be investigated by historians and/or archeologist and such should also be free to search for such sites as long as they respect the rights of those who own the land. It's that way in the US (with the arguable exception of tribal lands) and western Europe. Indeed in some places such investigations are mandatory if a historic site is found.
    What makes you even ask that question?
    ??? Thou art waxing incoherent.
    You are fully there.
    And off the deep end.