Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German soldier, in the hills bordering at Salerno, fires upon a crew beside their burning tank

Discussion in 'North Africa and the Mediterranean' started by Bgallo28, May 8, 2014.

1. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

It just doesn't work out that way in real life. One theory is that the yaw of the bullet hasn't quite calmed down at 100 yards, but straightens out and flies truer at longer ranges. I don't know. I'm more experienced with long range black powder rifles - .45/70 and .45/120. With those you don't generally get impressive groups at 100 yards, but in matches they will stay in a 30 inch circle at 1500 yards!

Again though, even if the rifle was shooting 18" at 600 yards your average bullet is still within 9" of the aiming point which would still mean a hit if aiming at the center of a torso.

Exactly right - and don't forget wind which plays an increasing role at longer ranges. I don't know how thorough marksmanship training was in the German army. I suspect it was pretty good in the early stages, but after that became questionable. I know that US army and USMC were expected to qualify at 500 yards at first with the Springfield and then later with the Garand as it came on line. The target was a 20 inch circle.

Of course, shooting at a range at known distances is very different than estimating distances in the field. Still, I expect a good soldier could reasonably expect hits at long ranges even if he had to adjust a couple of times for range and wind.

2. harolds

harolds Member

You bring up an interesting side issue: the differences in small arms training in different countries. I have at least one reference that states that in 1943 the German army was still laying heavy stress on weapons training with its recruits. I remember other references to German training as shooting at depictions of enemy soldiers at various ranges. The USA method is good for teaching the basics but poor for real life combat. Then, how about other countries such as UK-how did they do small arms training? I've never read anything on that!

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

It is obviously a poor photo, perhaps scanned but I can see no reason to fake it . Why ? A soldier shooting at something vague is not the 2od staged flag raising on Iwo . I would think this a rather common event. If indeed it is a burning tank, given the mass and width of the bottom of the smoke column, it is not that far away. The 98 Mauser is easily capable ballistically but that too is not necessarily the issue. He could have an exceptional example, be a great shot, estimate range well and judge wind and probably get some center mass hits or it could have an ordinary Mauser, he an ordinary shot and simple trying to inflict some damage. like most soldiers do, the best he could. It is fun to speculate ........... If the tankers are bailing they would be moving, a more difficult shot . Or several could be trying to save a wounded comrade, a larger and more stable target. . My guess is that he was trying to get a hit, during his duty and the German Army did have combat photographers.

Gaines

4. Takao

Takao Ace

Am I the only one who is wondering where the invasion fleet is?

5. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

good point Takao. I didn't even notice that. hmmm...yeah where is the fleet? :huh:

6. lwd

lwd Ace

Not just the invasion fleet.