Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German spare part box identification needed.

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Skipper, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hello Guys, here is another mysterious Gemran box.

This apparently comes from Lorient and supposedly was used by the Kriegsmarine for replacement parts on U-Boote. However any additional info would be welcome. The color seems to be original KM grey .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The inside is protected with wood and there used to be some kind of pump in it translation "hot oil pump device"(hydraulic? )

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I wish Dieter Hille were still here, he was the Chief Engineering Officer Lt.Engineer (I can't spell the German version of this) of U 181-and would have been the perfect one to answer this question. But like you deduced-I too am thinking it was some kind of a punp-based on whats painted on the box. Reason I say this is because he actually visited this site on my recommendations back in 2001 & 2002.

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I actually believe it's an oil pump ( heiz öl = hot oil) , but It's hard to find out. Thanks for your assistance at this point. I hope someone will be able to help me out

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Well , I hope Ray will be able to identify this as well (not to mention that I have another case coming ...)

5. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

here we go! hope this makes sense.The small metal plate says it is for gears for a heating oil pump...

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

upside down 65 is not a war marking I believe.

you have a case for parts 17-22 included, are they ? :D

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The black numbers were apparently painted for storage purposes. I agrre those are not factory made I believe this pump must have been a very expensive item. For a start the box was locked and the inside is padded with wood. I will take a picture of the inside and post it later, it might help. I suspect similar boxes were crafted for others pumps (same size) , this is why the label was screwed on the box and added instead of being stencilled.

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Well, im glad to see the mystery has been solved ;-))

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

curious Skip if you can take a pic of the wooden inside to give us a view ? any staining, though if the item was new in pristine condition when used on the Boot then that explains that. think the 65 is still late or after war or even after the thought, typically the Km would not just slash on a quick unorderly paint job during early war years, there had to be an even clean order to everything/ nice find though with clean label

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It will be done Erich , but I need to load my camera batteries, so allow me an hour or too, just so I can get enough energy to take a pic of the inside.

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

as promised more pics. It shows 2 things:

1) the wood inside is for protection of a fragile and expensive item.

2) there are 4 holes on the bottom that were used to rivet the box , so that it would not move .

Therefore I believe it could be an on-board item.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]