Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German submarine VS-5

Discussion in 'Submarines and ASW Technology' started by TA152, Mar 27, 2009.

1. TA152

TA152 Ace

Attached Files:

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Englemann boot to replace existing torpedo boots, thus in this special case being a primary boat for the Britain blocade.

I've got more now just to find it

3. aglooka

aglooka Member

A prototype for the Engelmann boat (a semi- submersed torpedo boat). A 250 ton prototype (the production boat would have been 600t). Built by Deshimag, completed 10 april 1941. The prototype was generally succesful (good seakeeping) but a few glitches were present: due to its one screw it had a list of 13 degrees on full power (which was not a problem since the production boats would heb been twin screw). Due to the list only 28kts were reached. But in general the concept was proven realistic.
    On the other side it was not cost effective, and due to the high expectations of the Walther boats it was not devoloped any further.

4. TA152

TA152 Ace

Thank you for the new information and welcome to the forums !

5. Tiornu

Tiornu Member

I'd like to know how VS-5 was overtaken by the Walther equipment. Specifically, why would a specialized torpedo boat be discontinued by developments in submarines?

6. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

I think aglooka is using Rossler as source and that's what he says.
    Apparently the VS-5 was an experimental vessel that was used to demonstate the possibility of a nearly completely submerged but not fully dive capable ship capable of very high speeds, no contemporary conventional sub even approached her design speed of 30 knots.
    From the drawings I saw there is no real pressure hull and no submerged engines so the claim she could dive looks strange, possibly the idea was the final design could hide by resting on to the sea bed in shallow waters during the day and perform high speed surfaced attacks at night.
    The design competed with small submarines and S-Boot as a coast defence vessel and the Walter designs promised a similar speed (and range) for a true submarine so that may be one reason the VS-5 concept was abandoned.
    A somewhat similar idea gave birth to some late XIX century ram-sip designs and some recent "stealthy" designs for nearly completely submerged ships seem to pick up the concept again.

7. aglooka

aglooka Member

Yes, I used Rossler. Sorry for omitting the source.

Aglooka

8. Tiornu

Tiornu Member

The VS designation makes it clear where the line of development lay.