Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German veterans

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by William, Mar 7, 2002.

1. William

William Member

Hello all,
    I have contacted some of you on this forum in the past, and thank you for your help.

I have been contacting veterans of WWII since 1987, trying to collect both their stories, and the more "technical" side of their lives (i.e. personal items carried, uniforms worn, rations, etc. Guess this could also be seen as the more mundane side of their military lives.)

Anyway, I am continually looking for new sources on where to get contact addresses for German veterans.

Anyone who may know of German veterans, principally panzer or infantry of the Heer or SS, I would like to hear from you.

If you would like to know more about what I am doing, please feel free to contact me directly at snafu947@yahoo.com

And for those of you that have already contacted me, I thank you. By the way, Carl Evans, drop me a line.

Wm.T. Ripley

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello William--glad to "see" you here. I havent been able to access any email for almost 2 days because the site is down--I will reply there as soon as I can.

3. William

William Member

Hey Carl,
    Know what you mean about not getting to your email. Like you're cut off from the world!!

I'll "talk" to you in a few days.

Wm.T.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Still having problems at the moment. I just tried to access 3 of my email accounts and they are still not accessable for the moment--hopefully by tomorrow. If not working by the time I get here tommorrow--I will send you a few by pvt mssg.

5. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Carl,

Got a letter from Remy and Joanna today,they are both very well.

Paul [​IMG]

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello mate--thats great news. Im still having email problems and it seems now that some of my messages are being delayed for SOME strange reason :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and for as long as about 2 days. :mad:

7. William

William Member

Hey Carl,
    Still no email, eh? Bummer. I've gotten a few replies to my inquiry, and thanks to all who got ahold of me if you are reading this.

Talk to you soon. Hope everything can get fixed on your end. I'll be waiting for the addresses.

Take care,
    Wm.T.

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Yeah, im still having sending problems and this has been going on for about 10 days now. Its VERY frustrating. Ill try again tomorrow. I have a good idea of who to send to ya. ;)

9. William

William Member

10 DAYS!?!?!? Wow, yeah, I can see why you'd be frustrated. Is it with your provider or server or whatever they're called?

Hope you get the bugs worked out whatever it is.

Wm.T.

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Its Hotmail, and they are starting to drive me around the bend--with frustration./

11. William

William Member

Hey Carl,
    Still lost in Cyberworld?

See you responded to that "Raider Doc". Careful with him, he's nuts!!

No, really, he's a good guy. He's in my Living History group. Just don't bum too many smokes off him:)

I have had a few more replies to my request for German vets. Thanks to all, and keep 'em coming!!

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

William:

If you are interested in Luftwaffe pilots/crews please contact the following :

Herrn Willi Göbel
    Krahwinkler Strasse 34A
    53797 Lomar
    Germany

you must write your inquiry in German. Also check the www.fliegergeminschaft.de web-pages for some more leads into other associates of the Gemeinschaft. I also have the Nachtjagdgeschwader
    representative's adresse if interested.

viele Glück !

E

13. William

William Member

Erich,
    Vielen Dank!! I will fire a letter off as soon as possible. Thank you.

Seeing how you have some Luftwaffe addy's, do you have any for Fallschirmjaeger?

You can contact me direct too if it's easier:
    snafu947@yahoo.com

Or, if you'd like to share with the rest of the class, by all means do. I'm sure others will find your assistance useful. Thanks again.

Tschuss!
    Wm.T.

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

William :

I only have one available and he was an unteroffizier, served in Afrika, Sicily and was transferred to France before the Mt. Cassino battles. In the battle of Normandy he was wounded and then captured by US forces. Went on to work for US intelligence after the war, so at this time because of this I must keep info on him and his name a secret.......too bad, I wish I could. Hoping for a complete interview of him this summer with pics and first hand accounts and then i will post his info under an assumed name.

E

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

William, I do, if I can just get to my list.

16. William

William Member

Erich,
    Completely understandable. No problems there. Hope that everything goes well on the interview-I'd love to read it.

Carl,
    I know it isn't funny that you can't get to your info, but I am chuckling. Ain't technology wonderful?!?!?!?!

You know, I just had this question, answer it if you want. HOW on earth, if these veterans info needs to be kept secret, did you find out about them? I know in my case, I found a vet, he learned what I was doing, and passed me onto others. Is that your case as well?

Like I said, that thought just popped into my head.

Until next time...

Wm.T.

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi William, im not trying to keep anything of theirs secret--nor are they--just protected. This is because of something that happened about a year ago when I was dumb enough to trust too many folks with my vets addresses list. Someone got the brillient idea of requesting something from a few vets and did not attempt to do things right and ticking these vets off.

Most of the vets are in their late 70s and in their 80s up to in their 90s, and I am VERY protective of these vets as I am personal friends with many and I think that everything should go completely their way as they most likely do not have much more time here.

Case in point: About 2 years ago, some jerks broke into Erich Topps home and stole his honor dagger that was a 1 of a kind presentation dagger that Grossadmiral Karl Donitz presented to him.

The thieving jerks also took his Knights Cross award papers and other things. Herr Topp is in his 80s, and has to spend the rest of his life without those items which belong to him. I can only imagine at how hurt by this he is. But no--these selfish thieving rats--just flat out do not care about anything but their own self interests.

You know what--these jerks will never be able to sell these items anywhere (unless some rich punk somewhere was the one who paid them a small fortune to steal these items) which im sure happened.

These items can NEVER come out in the open as too many people/collectors and dealers are all keeping their eyes peeled for these itms. Sadly I also realize that the jerk(s) who have these items will never be able to take them out of their hiding places. Interpol, and im sure other law enforcement agencies are aware of this and im sure will always be watching.

Sorry for this lecture--it wasnt meant to be anything other than a simple reply--anyway--I think you had requested some contacts--did you not? ;) let me know--Carl.

18. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Agreed Carl !

Since some of the top receipients of the RK have been hounded, written of, autographed of and plain taken for granted, many are now requesting that much of the futrue generation leave them alone. they feel in many cases they have been exploited enough. As Carl mentioned many German vets and Allied vets are in their 80's-90's and they have served their country well, and that being said many memories have faded. sometimes a particular instance will jog a memory of something in particular and other times a big fat zero.
    I was fortunate enough to get on the seen back in the late 60's when no-one was really intereted in interviewing vets, especailly German vets whom for the most part were still living the disgrace of losing the war and rebuilding thier homeland. About the late 1970's-early 1980's select historian tried and a did recieve helpful information for their own personal use and thus you see now the finding in the form of good books covering certain individuals or group histories with many first person accounts.
    For myself, I tend to specialize in the Luftwaffe special day fighter gruppen and the nachtjagd. Have has some good success but have also continually write in a kind way and send funds to prompt the German vets for a reply plus gain their trust. William , sometimes it just takes time and we being of the younger type generation are not always trusted, so person has to prove themself, but like you mentioned it is always really fun and exciting when a vet takes the time to answer your questions and finds that you yourself have taken a keen interest in him, thus providing more names of associates.

viele Glück !

E

19. William

William Member

Carl and Erich,
    Thanks for your interesting replies. I hope my question didn't come off sounding like I thought you were trying to keep information secret. That wasn't my intent. If it sounded like that, I apologize.

I myself have been contacting veterans of WWII since 1987 (last count around 5.600 contacted-not all having replied of course). I know how hard it is to find US veterans sometimes, and how impossible it seems to find German veterans. For about the last 3 years or so I have found some good contacts, and gained some trust.

I was just wondering how you guys were able to find German veterans is all. Again, I apologize if my question was taken the wrong way.

I don't know how scholarly my research is. I use the information the veteran tells me and recycle it back into my living history unit, hopefully making it more accurate. Getting that point across to the veteran is the hard part. Convincing them I am not after that uniform or medal in their closet, or that I am not a Nazi hunter, that's even harder. Once I can convince them of what I am doing, they are extremely helpful.

Well, rambled enough. But again, I apologize if the question was taken the wrong way, and YES, I am always on the lookout for new points of contact. Thanks again for your help.

Wm.T.
    If you guys are interested, and have access to Internet Explorer, you can check out our living history group's website at http://oldreliable9_47.tripod.com
    We do GI, but having a background in history, I find it important to have a good knowledge of "the other guy". Anyway, talk to you later.

20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

William :

Your question wasn't taken the wrong way as far as I am concerned. I gave you info on how I started my quest for seraching for Luftwaffe vets. It can be discouraging no doubt, but you have had success it seems with as many as you have listed. The vets are getting tired and that's it in a nutshell......

[​IMG] E