Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German WWII military binoculars ?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Kebabman, Mar 1, 2009.

1. VonBond

VonBond Member

Hi, I googled Zeiss, as suggested and the results said that Jena was the pre wwI home of the company and it is only after the second world war that the company gets split with the Jena works being in the East. If they are stamped Karl Zeiss, Jena, they are pre or early wwII. They are not postwar and I suggest that Mike rereads the google entry for Zeiss.

Thanks, Jerry

PS I have a pair of Karl Zeiss marked binos with the Waffenamt stamp on the frames!

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Same for me they are marked Dienstglass and dated 1933.

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Dienstglas = Heer issue. if you see any Kriegsmarine bino's marked it is a false imprint and should be looked with suspect. KM never used the Dienstglas marking on their glasses

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Mine are Heer, I wish they were KM

5. VonBond

VonBond Member

Hi, I agree on your conclusion, but the word dienstglas = service glass(s), and does not just refer to the Heer, as SS and other arms of the Wehrmacht could have binos with this marking.

Jerry

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

well I was not trying to make a broad sweeping statement I have only seen the Dienstglas imprint on Heer issue binoc's and trying to point out that KM does not and never did have this marking one way to tell a fake cover from the real thing.

one other thing as this is really a needed reference if one wants to pursue German WW 2 issue or WW 1 German issue bino's.... :

Ferngläser und Fernrohre in Heer Luftwaffe und Marine by Hans Seeger. Mostly in German but also some portions in English. big heavy expensive book loaded with illustrations. ISBN # 3-00-000457-2

Even covers some British and American, Japanese issue items as well.

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

not wishing to go OT with this thread but ..............James S over at our sister web-site posted some of his wonderful KM collection and even I added a tidbit on the last page. This may help one to understand some of the varied KM markings on their bino's during the war.

do not dispair Skip am sure one-KM pair will pop up in your area soon enough

Some Kriegsmarine naval binoculars. - World War 2 Talk

8. clayton

clayton Member

I was half right about the Jena name as the company did split post war but i was wrong on the rest.I have a pair of Binos that i paid £7 for in a junk shop and because they had Jena on them i was told they were post war,well after reading this thread i dug deaper and it turns out they are WW1 ! So you can learn something new all the time.

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Clayton can you post a scan or two of your bino's ?

also is an imperial crown present on the covers ?

10. clayton

clayton Member

Collecting Military Binoculars - Germany This is where it told me they were WW1, 6X30 Marineglas are the ones i have just like in the picture.They also have the letter K engraved on them which i also saw on a pair on Ebay?
    Mike.

11. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert