Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Germany had Flattops

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by Joe, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe Ace

What if Germany had in it's fleet, a few Carriers? What would happen???

2. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

3. Joe

Joe Ace

well thats not really the same topic-thats asking WHY there where no german Carriers, this is WHAT IF there where german Carriers.

4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

That is a lot of steel that could be used elsewhere but we shall give it a go nevertheles......

I would say that it would not really change a thing since Germany was still lacking a significant number of capitol ships. Now pair them up with the Italian navy in the med or even in the North sea, then they could impact allied convoys in the North and provide cover for Rommel's supplies but that is if they can keep from being sunk which I think would happen in the end.

5. Za Rodinu

No need for carriers as cover for Rommel supplies. Wasn't Italy the Unsinkable Aircraft Carrier? In the end what was the result?

And do you remember the trouble the RN had with their own carriers in he Atlantic until they learnt their lesson? Now transfer that to the Jerries and tell me about it!

Do you know what this thread sounds like?

6. Roddoss72

Roddoss72 Member

I agree with you on this one, for Germany flattops are a waste, they like the heavy units like battleships and heavy cruisers in the end Hitler would have forbidden there deployment, the steel would be better used in U-Boat or Panzerwaffen construction, if Germany deployed the Graf Zeppelin in the Med it would have been sunk.

7. skunk works

skunk works Ace

Type XXI U-boats, Me 262s, Jadg Panthers, and V-2s would've been better use of time and money. Carriers for the Kriegsmarine would've been bottled up, or bird-dogged to their destruction. A total waste in a series of total wastes for the Nazi's. Maus, Land Cruizer, etc..
    Their "war winning" weapon was not the carrier.

8. Za Rodinu

Then what was?

9. Roddoss72

Roddoss72 Member

The witty German sense of humour.

10. Richard

Richard Expert

As pointed out on the other thread the German design for aircraft carriers was just so lame when you look at the USN & IJN carriers, the German surface fleet was a threat but just look what happen to it when it came out to fight. Germany wasted the surface fleet, as for the U-Boats they were over stretched, granted they were doing the job and fought like lions for a lost course. If Germany built the planned number of aircraft carriers I can't help think how many less tanks would of been built and how long those carriers would last against the RN or I are we looking at hit and run operations.

11. tikilal

tikilal Ace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.