Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Get to know my little town!

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Friedrich, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

2. dasreich

dasreich Member

The low-income houses look like a giant Lego Land. In fact I could go build that with my heaps of Legos right now.

Great pics!

3. jpatterson

jpatterson Member

Very interesting Fried. Two things interest me about Mexico. One, the food. After Italy, I'd sure like to do a food tour of Mexico. Lots of variety by region. Second, Aztec ruins. My 7th graders just got finished studying the Aztecs and are now each making a "Chimalli", or Aztec battle shield. Are there any significant ruins from Aztec culture besides Teotihuacan?

Later

4. Ali Morshead

Ali Morshead Member

Great Pics,

But they highlight the growing rift between the Rich & the Poor which many Countries have.

5. TA152

TA152 Ace

Pretty good slide show General!! I would not want to be around the stadium when 114,000 people let out after a game.

What happened in 1968 when he said it was the Mexican Tiananmen ?

6. TA152

TA152 Ace

This has nothing to do with this thread but I wanted to put it where you would see it. Has anyone written an opera about WWII or any of it's battles ? Seems like it would be something the Russians would do or the Italians.

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thanx Friedrich!

Many nice pics! I thought the most weird was the pic of the green pirate taxis all brought together...

;)

8. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

J, Teotihuacan is not Aztec, it was a multi-ethnic city, which flourished some 12 centuries before the Aztecs settled in the Valley-Lake of Mexico in 1325 A.D.

And yes, there are still many Aztec (Mexican, pronounced Meshikan) ruins all around the Valley of Mexico, not only from the old Aztec city of Mexico-Tenochtitlan:

[​IMG]

In fact, just besides the Cathedral, remain the ruins of the Mayor Temple:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's also a little pyramid in the middle of an underground station:

[​IMG]

The massacre of Tlatelolco (you can see the place in the site, it is the veryt first picture), just a few weeks before the Olympic Games.

[​IMG]

Not any that I know of, but there must be one. New operas are composed every year, and many great composers worked in the post-war era. An example of a modern opera about a modern historical event is John Adam's Nixon in China.

However, there are many common XIX Century or earlier operas staged during WWII, such as Gounod's Faust or even Händel's Rodelinda, which I've seen in Nazi-like costumes:

[​IMG]

9. TA152

TA152 Ace

Thank you for the information on the massacre. I had not heard of it at all !!

When you finish your book an opera about a WWII battle can be your next project ! :eek: [​IMG]

10. jpatterson

jpatterson Member

Thanks Fried, I need to do a bit of reading on Teotihuacan.

Later