Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Gewehr 43 vs M1 garand

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by SSDasReich, Jan 24, 2010.

1. SSDasReich

SSDasReich Member

I meant that reloading the gewehr 41 is slower than reloading the gewehr 43, because the gewehr 41 loads with 2 striper clips, while the gewehr 43 has a detachable box magazine.

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

That makes a difference, since the topic was a comparo between a German rifle (semi-auto G43) and the Garand you should probably put that information in your post if you change the parameters?

3. lwd

lwd Ace

Dad never had a problem with his fouling. What do you consider "much slower"? In any case if you shot say 6 rounds and were at a point you could take a few seconds you could top off your magazine with another 5 rounds. Not something you'd want to do with a box magazine.

4. SSDasReich

SSDasReich Member

in the middle your gewehr 41 runs empty, you have to insert 2 stripper clips 1 at a time, which is a time consuming process. with the gewehr 43, you simply have to remove the empty magazine and insert a fresh one, like all weapons that use a box magazine.

5. Triple C

Triple C Ace

On the flip side, with mid-late WWII German workmanship and materials, a magazine is another fragile mechanism waiting to fail. Spring can suffer from metal fatigue and poorly constructed magazines have shortened service life. For WWII era technology, magazines are expensive to make and wastes much steel. This is why the British never issued extra magazines to their rifleman and trained them to reload with striper clips, even though the Lee-Enfield's magazines were technically "detachable".

Old Schoolr likes this.
  6. lwd

lwd Ace

How long do you think it takes to insert a stripper clip?

7. SSDasReich

SSDasReich Member

maybe 3 seconds?

8. lwd

lwd Ace

I'd put it closer to 2 for someone who has practiced. Probably faster than ejecting and inserting a magazine. Now putting two in will take a bit longer than inserting a magazine. On the other hand you have the ability to top off once you've fired 5 or more rounds which you can't easily or quickly do with a box magazine. The magazine also represents another failure point. In general the magazine seems to have an advantage but not a huge one. In WWII I suspect it was less so.

9. sf_cwo2

sf_cwo2 Member

German soldiers were first trained on the K98k. They were very adept at loading stipper clips into a rifle by the time the G43 made its appearance. Oddly enough, soldiers cut the G43 mag pouch in half to carry only one extra mag. It could be they only had one extra mag, or they preferred topping off with stripper clips.

10. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

Anything more then 3 seconds you might have some problems shooting back ;)
    I rather have a M14 but the M 1 is fine by me!

11. Christian Snyder

Christian Snyder Member

M1 Garand by far. The M1 Garand was stronger, more reliable, and less crudely made than the Gewehr 43. It was also similar to the 8X57 in power, but that was only because we downloaded the .30/06 and chose the 150 grain bullet so that the M1 could handle the .30/06.

Not as far as cartridge performance. The 8x57 Mauser is far more powerful than the little .30 carbine.

12. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Without a doubt, the point I was trying to make is that the Carbine and the G43 shared many of the same attributes and short commings in their functionality much more so than the G43 and the Garand.

13. Christian Snyder

Christian Snyder Member

Sorry, I misunderstood your post.:)

14. Proeliator

Proeliator Member

Nah it would still be similar, a good example is the WW1 loads for both rounds.

7.92x57 S = 154 gr Spitzer at 890 m/s
    7.62x63 M1906 = 150 gr Spitzer at 855 m/s

Also buying max performance rounds of both types today you will notice that the power between the 8x57 & 30.06 is very much the same, the 8x57 being more powerful with heavy projectiles and the 30.06 being more powerful with light projectiles.

15. Old Schoolr

Old Schoolr Member

And the bottom line is that anyone struck by either round at 100 yards wouldn't know the difference.

16. Christian Snyder

Christian Snyder Member

What does m/s stand for?:confused: I'm used to feet per second (fps).

17. Old Schoolr

Old Schoolr Member

Meters per second.

1 m/s = 3.2808 fps

18. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

IF those numbers are from a ballistic table they have no bearing on this as they are compared from bolt action rifles.

19. Old Schoolr

Old Schoolr Member

Explain please.

20. Christian Snyder

Christian Snyder Member

That is what I thought it was. Thanks for answering my stupid question.;)