Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Glasses in WW2

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Wolfy, Apr 18, 2009.

1. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

That is dedication

2. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

This is an interesting picture. A soldier bearing the Skull and crossbones of the "Death's head" insignia who is wearing glasses.

[​IMG]

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Wolfy,

Firstly, an opthamologist can give you the best advice concerning your eyes as to what can be done and what outcome you can expect.

The way you described it, your vision is very poor. I know it must be irritating to you. My wife and my sister both had atrocious eyesight. Both were glasses dependent and if they dropped their glasses, they could not find them without getting down on the floor and feeling around. Their sight was not as poor as yours, but it was bad enough to limit activities that precluded or affected the wearing of glasses. Both were in the 20/200 range and worse.

Both have had lasik surgery to correct their vision problems and both were very happy with the outcome. The next day after her surgery, my wife tested at 20/10 in one eye and 20/20 in the other. However, since she is now past 40, her vision has been affected by age, such that she now sometimes has to wear lenses to read, usually late in the day or at night, depending on how tired she is. Same for my sister. The glasses they wear are the ones you get off of the rack in drug stores and cost a few dollars.

I encouraged my wife to get her eyes done and we both have been very pleased with the vast improvement with her quality of life following the procedure. She does not have to deal with glasses and she now sees better than I do. If the eye doc thinks that the surgery will be able to help you substantially, your should give considerable thought to having the surgery. I think you will be pleased with the outcome.

If you decide to pursue such a procedure, investigate it well. Solicite the recommendations of those who have had the procedure and don't necessarily go with the cheapest. It is your eyes we're talking about after all, use a reputable surgeon. The more they advertise and the harder they sell, the less you should consider using them.

I wish you well.

Wolfy likes this.
  4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I don't know but-i've seen plenty of pics of soldiers wearing glasses. Check out a few of the latest that I bought that Skipper has posted for me. You will see a German Officer wearing specs-as well a sa fe wothers. Also, when SKipper has the time for posting my haul of 20 GJ pics from today-there are several in them who are wearing glasses.

Best regards-C

5. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

Thank you, Slipdigit for the highly informative personal account. I will look into it.

6. Slipdigit

I feel strongly that as young as you are, it will be money well spent, provided that you are a good candidate for a successfull procedure.:)

7. marc780

marc780 Member

I too wear glasses and thought about the lasik but i decided against it after looking at all factors involved, my considerations were 1-it is relatively safe but not foolproof, there is always a chance you can wind up with major and permanent eye damage. This is why when they do the procedure on you, they do one eye at a time!
    2-the cost - $2000 or more per eye and most importantly, here is something they probably WON"T tell you unless you ask first -
    3-The procedure is usually not permanant because the eye continues to change shape throughout your lifetime. This means that even if it works you might need to do it all over again in 5 years or so.
    and 4-there is also no guarantee you will wind up with 20/20 vision. Theres a chance you could spend all the money, get the procedure, and still need glasses afterwards.

If the army were paying i think i might try it, but they're not, i am paying. I have worn contact lenses in the past and may do so again someday since newer contacts are much better then when i first wore them in the late 1970's, also less chance of permanent damage to the eye and relatively cheap!

8. Slipdigit

My wife's eyes were done at the same time.
    Cost was one the early things my wife's physician brought up, because they would not procede beyond the initial consultation without an ability to pay for the service. Some places are about $1500/eye, now
    This is correct, but is more noticeable the closer to 40 you are when you have the procedure, as your eye changes more at this stage in your life than any other after childhood.
    While glasses may be necessary afterward, a reputable surgeon can usually tell you before the procedure to what degree he can change your vision. Even if you were have to wear glasses, wouldn't it be much better to be able to take them off and still see relatively well, so as to actully be able to see things, instead of smudgy colors? Like I mentioned, my wife has to wear glasses sometimes. Right now she is at her computer, pecking away without benefit of lenses sitting on her nose.
    I don't fault you for you choice. If a peron is not totally confident in something, he should not participate in it. He'll be the one to have problems.:D

9. scarface

scarface Member

Here's a picture of my Dad taken somewhere in Germany -

[​IMG]

he was in the 99th Division - they were near Schwabach, near Nurnburg (umlauts over the 'u' - can't figger out how to put them in) at the time. Stamped on the back

'Passed for Publication 28 May, 1945
    SHAEF Field Press Censor'

- it was published in the local paper, and the print was passed on to my Grandparents. He was a Pfc in the front line and was wearing government issued specs. His weapon was a BAR.

I think the glasses are kinda nice looking, too.

Sure wish I had them.

-whatever

-Lou

EDIT: Wouldn't mind having the Browning, either!

Wolfy likes this.
  10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I forgot to mention, that in at least one of two photos of the Grossdeutschland Division that I have that were taken during the Battle of Kursk, the one that shows four of them resting has at least one soldier in it wearing specs. If intrested in seeing this photo-ill have to again refer you to Skipper so he can post it here or in the Militaria section.

11. Slipdigit

Look what the dog dragged up that the cat wouldn't bury! Howdy Lou!

12. scarface

scarface Member

Well......

...... the litter box was full....... so don't blame the Cat....

..... but that's another story, entirely!

-whatever

-Lou