Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Good airbrushes

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Bomber Harris, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Bomber Harris

Bomber Harris Member

OK - I've searched for this, but I couldn't find anything, so I apologise if it has been asked before. And thanks for any replies in advance!

I have been painting models for years, but only airfix and revell and using hand held paintbrushes, and only to an elementary level. I played warhammer a few years ago and could paint those models to quite a high standard, and want to get to the same level with normal modelling.

the first task I have set myself is to become familiar with airbrushing; this is something I have never done before, but would like to be good at. so, with this in mind, does anyone know of any good airbrushes I can buy? Also, is there a particular type or brand of paints that work especially well in airbrushes?

Lastly, does anyone of any guides to airbrushing, or have any tips they could give me?

Thanks for any help :)

2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Iwata, no question (In my opinion).
    I was suspicious of so many glowing reviews, but having bought cheaper ones in the past and been disappointed I've not regretted the Iwata for one second.
    Put paint in the top, no matter what consistency, and it sprays out the front. Easy to clean (very important), and completely reliable.

Cheers (and welcome aboard),
    Adam.

Bomber Harris likes this.
  3. Bomber Harris

Bomber Harris Member

Thanks, and thanks for the welcome too :D

I got this info much quicker than I expected; I'll have a a hunt around for a reasonably priced one. I really want to get down to modelling again as soon as possible, so i'm going to surf the net for one now.

Any other hints, tips, opinions on airbrushes etc. anyone can give are greatly appreciated ;)

4. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I've only been airbrushing for about 3 years BH, but I reckon it's taken my models leaps ahead. I'm guessing you're interested in aircraft? They're not really my thing but I've done a couple and can now see why the mechanical paintbrush has been 'standard' in that world for so long, I never managed entirely smooth coats with a paintbrush and they're so important for the large areas on planes (and Johnson's Klear really is like magic).

I don't think I'm really qualified to give real hints and tips as I'm still on the rather steep learning curve, but there's loads of interesting info on the web. It seems to me that the most important thing is to find your own way of doing things and not be afraid to try stuff out (and of course, have fun) I'm surprised that since getting the Iwata after being hacked off with a cheaper model I now completely build the models first and then start painting, as the accuracy achievable is surprising.

Some kits I've been almost pleased with, and couldn't have done to the same satisfaction without Airbrushing:

Sits too lightly on it's base:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just noticed I forgot to fit sodding aerials:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Too shiny, needs dust, and i still can't do good figures... Airbrushes don't help with that!:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

~A

scarface, Skipper and Bomber Harris like this.
  5. Bomber Harris

Bomber Harris Member

I am interested in aircaft, but I like doing ships as well, though I've never tried a tank. When I used to do models, it never mattered that the paint jobs weren't all that impressive. As a kid you don't tend to care; they looked good hanging from ceiling regardless :D

I've been hunting around for info on the web, but haven't really found anything concrete yet, I'll just have to refine my search - google doesn't differentiate bewteen scale model airbrushing and airbrushing on cars etc.:(

I've actually bought an airbrush; I bought a lower end Iwata, since I don't really have the budget to get a really good one, and as a relative novice I didn't think it'd be worth it anyway. So now I've just got to get my head around using it :D

And now I would like to state something: you are doing yourself an immense disservice. Those models are excellent! And your figures are fantastic too! I especially like the first model; is it a Panzer 1? I always get muddled up between a 1 and a 2 :confused: the models are fantastic regardless :D And thanks again for the trouble you're taking to help out, it's appreciated ;)

6. Evilnine

Evilnine recruit

I am in the same boat that you are in, I built models extensively as a kid but only cars, hot rods & muscle cars. I achieved acceptable (ACCEPTABLE FOR A KID) paint jobs with spray cans. Only recently have I began to build WWII aircraft and armor and want to achieve professional results (Von Poop your photos look excellent).

I bought two Paasche airbrushes from a local hobby store that was going belly-up so I got them for a really good price 50% off on one and 75% off on the other. I first I bought was an "H" model single action good for spraying solid color. The guy at the store tried to discourage me from buying a double action as I was a begginer.

After a night of thinking I went back the next day and bought the "VL" double action model anyway. They were both base models with cheap plastic handles and had one tip and aircap only. They have been sitting around for a couple of years but recently I went to Paasche's website and bought all of the upgrades (it was suprisingly affordable) to make the both the H and VL into the deluxe models with balanced metal handles and all of the tip and cap sizes, I also purchased polished needles, smooth action trigger and paint picker aircaps for the VL. I also recently purchased a really nice 100psi compressor with a footswitch.

Now that the weather is warm enough I want to try my hand with them.

Here are a couple of sites I have found that might be useful:

HyperScale - An Online Magazine for Aircraft and Armour Modellers

Airbrush Model Airplanes - Learn to airbrush model airplanes.

MUSEUM MODELEER - Shep Paine's Tips on Building Dioramas

Airplane Model Kits | Painting and Dry Brushing Tutorials

How To Airbrush free lessons, articles, tutorials and videos.

World War 2 Airplane Model - Learn to Make Realistic Plastic Models of World War 2 Airplanes.

Personally I need to learn how to thin paint for the airbrush any suggetions where to start?

7. Evilnine

Evilnine recruit

At first the links did not seem to be working but now they are, I hope thay can be of some help.

8. Henry G

Henry G Member

I've also been looking into an airbrush kit. Can anyone recommend one that currently use, or one that a beginner would use to learn with.

9. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

I've got a Badger 350 I've been using for over 30 years. Double action, optional tips. Plenty good.