Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Gothic Line - September 1944

Discussion in 'Italy, Sicily & Greece' started by Military History Network, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Military History Network

Military History Network Registered Member

I am seeking narrative histories, esp. of German 334th Infantry Division and 4th Parachute Division in the vic. of Highways S325 and S65 north of Prato and Firenze resp during September 1944.

I'll be happy to share with you histories of the US 34th Infantry Division on the other side of the front.

This information will be useful to Italians researching for a memorial to all forces to be erected on the Gothic Line this summer.

I'm told the inscription will be "IN MEMORIAM QUI CECIDERUNT MILITUM MCMXLIV" - neither English, nor German, nor Italian!

Thank for anything you might be able to share with or point out for me.

Arnoldnib likes this.
  2. No.9

No.9 Ace

The inscription is in Latin - IN MEMORY OF [ALL] THE FALLEN SOLDIERS, 1944

Do you know exactly when and where the memorial is to be erected?

Who are the Italian ‘researchers’ and what aspects are they researching into?

No.9

3. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

I'm also interested to read this and know more about the memorial.

I am currently researching the fighting in Italy from a British/Commonwealth perspective, and would be happy to share material with any genuine researchers.

I'm also off on a visit to the Italian battlefields in May.

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

( This seems an appropriate time to *bump* an earlier recommended website : -

http://www.gothiclinetours.com/

Which I'm pleased to notice now has a link to another well-known Battlefield site.. ;) ;) )

5. Military History Network

No. 9, Sommecourt -

The sponsoring organization for this memorial is the Prato section of "UNUCI". the Italian Association of Reserve Officers; the particular area of concern from Montecuccoli to Montepiano. The focus and, I believe, the memorial will be on Hill 810, to be dedicated on 2 June 03.

One of the UK units in support of the assault on Hill 810 was the 10th AGRA [Army Group Royal Artillery]. Do you have any detail on their ordnance or order of battle?

- Pat Skelly

6. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

I'll look it up and get back to you.

7. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

According to the Royal Artillery War Commemoration Book 10th AGRA in mid-1944 consisted of the following:

Medium Regiments, Royal Artillery

2nd
    17th
    18th
    80th
    178th

Heavy Regiments, Royal Artillery

61st

Also: 50th Survey Regiment, Royal Artillery

Most of the Medium Regiments would have had 5.5-inch guns. Heavy Regiments normally had 155mm hows.

For the organisation of a Medium Regt in 1944 see:
    http://members.tripod.com/~nigelef/medregt44.htm

For a Heavy Regt see:

http://members.tripod.com/~nigelef/hyregt44.htm

8. Military History Network

For the above-mentioned battle memorial to be dedicated this summer, I would like to get any 'Table of Organization' or 'Order of Battle' information that would apply to the German 754th Grenadier Regiment and 334th Infantry Division.

Even the generic organization and effective strength for a Grenadier Regiment would help.

Thanks.

9. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

Any more news of this memorial? Hope the AGRA information was of use?

10. Military History Network

Sommecourt -

Thank you for asking. Even though no one seemed to know anything regarding my April 29 request above, the ceremony will take place June 2. I leave tomorrow morning. I have the honor to represent and present a wreath on behalf of the US 34th Infantry Division. I append the program information received just yesterday. They are organizing a very nice ceremony.

====
    Pat,
    At 0900 we arrive in Vernio, municipal Palace, then, by car, we make 6 kms, we pass "Corte fiorita" farm (it is of an our cooperator's "guest farm" not very elegant, but fully comfortable) and after 300 m of car-road we reach carpark at Torricella pass.
    We pass the Lunch Meadow approx 100 m. of forestal-trail far from Carpark.
    Hill 810 is 300 m., of same forestal trail, far from lunch meadow, 100 m. higer in elevation.
    Forrestal trail is not so plain but for a normal person easily walkable with no elegant or lather sophisticated shoes.
    Memorial is upon a hill with wide grass areas and trees which give a good shadow.
    At 1000 Ceremony begins:
    1 Flag hoisting with trumpet tarps (4 flags: Italian, German, American and European)
    2 Honour to fallen soldiers
    3 UNUCI president gives Memorial to Vernio Major
    4 Major receives and discovers monument
    5 National Anthemns
    6 Religious ceremony (not catholic, we ask to priest to celebrate something "Universal")
    7 Politics and Authorities talks
    8 Visit to battlefield
    At 1230 back down the trail to Lunch meadow.
    At 1300 Lunch (Pasta tomato sauce, roast meat, beans olive oil, dessert... brook of wine)
    At 1600 back to Vernio to open the show "Gothic Line in Vernio"
    At 1800 at home.

At hill 810 states an ambulance with medicals and water and a car of firemen.
    I'll suggest to ambulance personnel to organize something acceptable for ladies comfort.
    Organisation has a Toyota 4wd to carry persons that prefer not to walk or are not able to.
    At the moment for ladies the matter is to be taken as a ... friendly "open-air situation"

All above description is to get a more precise idea sothat you can decide the better way.
    Ask me more details.
    American Consulate in Florence has sent an Aviation Captain (Lady) that I'll met at American War Cemetery during ceremony of Memorial day on next Monday morning.
    Ciao, Riccardo
    ====

My remarks will be very brief:
    "May they have no more hills to climb, nor cold nor rain nor mud nor enemy fire, as they now rest in peace."

- Pat