Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

graf zeppelin video

Discussion in 'The War at Sea' started by me262 phpbb3, Aug 30, 2006.

1. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
  2. Quillin

Quillin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    nice movie, i love the part where she's slidded in the water

3. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It's a very nice video, but it would help if I could get it in English, or at least with English subtitles. ;)

4. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    hey guys, i asked a friend of mine to translate the video, he send me this:

One of the last big secrets of the history of German naval warfare lies on the floor of the Ostsee to the north of the bay of Danzig, about 80 m deep. Last week a diving robot found a huge ship by accident. The wreck is the Graf Zeppelin, the only German aircraft carrier ever built, which had been lost for 60 years. The 262 m long giant was considered the naval prestige object of the Nazis, the christening speech was given by Hermann Goehring, boss of the German airforce.

Herman Goehring: "In this hour the German people with a burning heart thank our beloved leader and supreme commander Adolf Hitler. Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil!"

Final proof that it is the Graf Zeppelin was delivered by the Polish navy last thursday.
    Press conference on the military research ship Actovski (?) in the harbour of Dinja (?):

Polish dude: "On this here picture we see 3 different forms of the same object. We see a sidewise graphical scheme of the ship, an aerial photo from 1945 and a current 3D-Photo of the wreck. Based on analysis and comparison it definitely is the same object. So far nobody really knew where the ship sunk."

On the 3D images made by the navy you can see a surprisingly well intact wreck. The massive carrier which never had been used in warfare obviously survived it's demise in one piece, as the recordings of a diving robot show.

Some dude: "This here probably is the working deck which was located near the flight deck. And here could have been guns or a mast of the carrier. Here we can very well see the exit hatches and finally the characteristically built stairs, which were knee high."

They found the Graf Zeppelin by chance. During a research expedition of the Santa Barbara Captain Benkovski (?) and his crew discovered something odd. The Polish research ship normally is used for geological sea floor research.

Captain Benkovski (?): "On the first of July we went to sea with the Santa Barbara and began routine work approx. 80 km north of Cap Rosevic (?). Suddenly we detected a giant object of approx. 270 m with our sonar."

The Graf Zeppelin was planned to be bigger and faster than all other contemporary aircraft carriers. But the steel giant was never put to use. The ship is too heavy because of it's massive armour plating. The needed turbine engines were never finished. At the beginning of the war in September 1939 the upgrading of the U-Boot-fleet had priority. Hitler's miracle weapon from now on was considered a ruin and waste of effort. Shortly before the end of the war a German demolition team sunk the carrier. Two years later the Red Army recovers the wreck and tows it to the open sea for training purposes. Where exactly remained a secret for 61 years. Now the riddle is solved but we still don't know what's still on board. A diving expedition of the Santa Barbara has already been planned.

5. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Thanks for the translation, 262! ;)

6. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    well, thank him( my friend) not me
    still glad that you like it