Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Grandfather Gave Me A Knife... Wasn't His, Can You Help Identify??

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by metalmaiden, Apr 28, 2014.

1. metalmaiden

metalmaiden New Member

My grandfather has given me a knife he acquired from an auction i believe it was, as he knows I am intrigued with these things and I am looking for help in identifiying this pocket knife. He believes it is a Canadian soldiers knife, it does say England on it which would make sense, and it has what we believe to be a regimental number on it. I have searched all night for a way to figure this out to no avail. Can you please help? I think it's a Navy knife... trying to figure out if it is indeed Canadian or British and if there is any way I can locate information on the soldier it belonged to without joining Ancestry.ca.

Thank you so much in advance for your assistance!

Attached Files:

2. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

metalmaiden and Otto like this.
  3. metalmaiden

metalmaiden New Member

Thanks R :) we figured as much... Do u know where I can run the reg number anywhere and with it saying England on the bottom of the blade wud u say it's UK or Canadian?

4. metalmaiden

metalmaiden New Member

heres a couple more pics i had to adjust the size! many thanks

Attached Files:

5. metalmaiden

metalmaiden New Member

darn double posted above.. here's the other

Attached Files:

6. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

Wish I could tell you more, but I can't begin to.

Growing up as the child of a career naval officer, I simply know one when I see it.

Hope you have luck in tracking it down. You might want to search for British & Commonwealth militaria collectors forums, no doubt someone has the information on makers marks.

metalmaiden likes this.
  7. charlievcx2

charlievcx2 New Member

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner, but R Leonard has nailed it. Those knives were issued to pretty much every seaman/sailor who served with any of the British Commonwealth navies. I served 6 years in the Royal New Zealand Navy back in the 70's and had one exactly like it, and mine also had 'England' stamped on the blade, so I don't think that signifies which navy it served with, just where it was manufactured. I lost mine years ago unfortunately, wish I still had it.
    It could be British, Canadian, New Zealand, Australian, Indian or any one of a host of other countries who had a navy and were part of the Commonwealth. There were probably millions of them produced and issued, (well millions may be a slight exaggeration), but there were still enough of them to make it difficult to track the origins of one knife.
    As for the number, it is probably not a regimental/unit number, it is more likely the service number of the individual it was issued to. When I was issued mine we had to stamp our service numbers on the knife just like yours has.
    I hope you manage to figure out where it came from.

lwd likes this.