Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Grandfather : Welsh Guards WW2

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Sarahjohn, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Sarahjohn

Sarahjohn recruit

Hi

This my first post and I was wondering if anyone can help.

Hi, my name is Sarah. I live in the UK and my grandfather was in ww2 from 1944 to 1945. I have to be honest in that I never knew him and know very little about him but am current trying to research family history and would like to know more about him.

The only information I have is his name was Robert Wellington and he served with the 2nd armd Welsh Guards. I have many letters that he sent my grandmother but of course with restrictions on what he could write they don't say much about him or where he served.

My problem there is alot of detail about the Welsh Guards but I would like to know more specific detail about him, and a photo would be great. I don't really have no idea where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

2. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hi and welcome!

I´m sure that some of our UK members are willing to help you. Wish you good luck!

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Yes welcome to the forum. Give our UK members a little time and they will point you in the right direction. good Luck!

4. Sarahjohn

Sarahjohn recruit

Thank you for the welcome. It will. Be great if I can find out about my grandfather.

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome to the Forum! As Belasar said, be patient and someone will be along to help. I wish you well in your search.

6. Sarahjohn

Sarahjohn recruit

Hi

Searching through some old letters and documents I found some further detail that may help, on 13 April 1944 Robert Wellington's army number was 5614 and he was attached to the 2nd Armd Recce Welsh Guards 1 Sqd.

As i said in my original post my problem there is alot of detail about the Welsh Guards but I would like to know more specific detail about him, and a photo would be great. I don't really have no idea where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks again.

7. belasar

belasar Court Jester

You stated that there is alot of general data on the Welsh Guards, do they have a memorial organization? If so they may be able to point you to other decendant's and possibly survivor's who could give you more information.

8. Icare9

Icare9 Member

Hi, Sarahjohn
    Do you have details as to when and where grand dad got married?
    Do you have their Marriage details? Their marriage certificate should have his full Service number, if they married in wartime, not just the last 4 digits you quoted, but 7, such as 2735614.
    Once you know his Service number you can apply for his Service records. Currently it costs £30 and takes about a year, so the sooner the better.

If you can't find the wedding cert, post up details of when and where born, when you think he married and grannys name and maiden surname, and we'll see if we can find out more for you.

Hope that is of some help.

From D Day the 2nd Welsh Guards were the Divisional Armoured Recce Regiment, so were outside of the brigade structure.
    They had white squadron signs on the hulls, not the turrets, of their tanks and their serial was 45 on a green-over-blue square.

He would probably have been in the big Operation Market Garden to try and capture the bridges at Arnhem in September 1944, then stalled on the Dutch border until finally breaking into Germany in March 1945 and soon the end of the War.

Hope that helps

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Hi Sarah. Welcome to the forum. As far as your grandfather goes, the first thing to do (if you've not already done so) is to follow the directions in this thread. http://www.ww2f.com/military-servic...arch/36895-requesting-uk-service-records.html. That will get his records and then a starting place. Good luck in your search.

You can also register at our sister site, WW2talk.com and read through this thread. It has a more British orientation, and they may also help. http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/welsh-...-battalion-welsh-guards-jan-dec-1944-a-3.html

10. Trevor Holmes

Trevor Holmes New Member

Hi
    Can anyone help find details of my late Father who was also in the Welsh Guards?