Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Grandfather's Record and Report of Separation Honorable Discharge

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by alp, Jun 18, 2017.

1. alp

alp New Member

I was able to obtain my Grandfather's WWII Record and Report of Separation Honorable Discharge. I know his branch was Army.
    The form indicates he was with Company B, 17th Infantry. I did a simple google search and I saw:

17th infantry regiment
    17th infantry Division
    1st battalion 17th infantry
    4 battalion 17th infantry

Confused - How do I know what group he was assigned to? Are these the same?

Under "Battles and Campaigns" the form indicates he fought at Ryukyus. I've gathered this is a group of islands - Okinawa being the largest.

Is it possible to narrow down were exactly my Grandfather fought?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

He served with Company B, 1st Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division. He didn't join them until the end of Feb 1945. He would have received his Combat Infantryman's Badge for the Battle of Okinawa.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard

Because he was awarded a CIB he was entitled to a Bronze Star, which was given after the war.

4. alp

alp New Member

Thank you TD-Tommy776 @ LRusso216. I appreciate the quick response. Is there any good history books that you would recommend that specify the battles that Company B, 1st Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division were in?

5. alp

alp New Member

So what would have been the insignia on his uniform the Buffalo 17th Infantry or the Hourglass 7th Infantry Division?

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard

7. alp

alp New Member

Thank you Lou. I found a used paperback on Amazon for under $18. Ordered it.

8. alp

alp New Member

What would have been the insignia on his uniform the Buffalo 17th Infantry or the Hourglass 7th Infantry Division?

9. TD-Tommy776

He would have worn the 7th Infantry Division patch on his left sleeve. The 17th Infantry DUI would have been worn on his garrison cap or lapel depending on the uniform.

10. TD-Tommy776

The Hyperwar.com website has an online version of the US Army in WWII "Green Books" volume, "Okinawa: The Last Battle". You may want to check out Chapter 9 (starting at page 227) and Chapter 11 (starting at page 271). You can also look through the Index for other references to the 17th Infantry. If you prefer, you can download a PDF version of the entire book from the US Army Center of Military History website.

It is usually possible to find a copy of the 7th Infantry Division's WWII history, though be careful to not overspend. There are 1988 Battery Press reprints available that shouldn't cost more than about $50. Don't assume that because someone is asking $100+ for it that it is not a reprint. The original was published in 1950 by Infantry Journal Press. The original printing was hardcover. I believe the reprints may be paperback. Or you can opt for getting it on loan from your local library.