Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Great Britain makes peace with Hitler in 1940

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Eastern Front & Balka' started by British-Empire, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. British-Empire

British-Empire Member

Did you read the scenario?
    Japan is not at war with Britain.

2. British-Empire

British-Empire Member

Japan dosnt attack the Empire in this scenario.
    It wouldnt dare take on the Empire and the USA at the same time.

3. Vince Noir

Vince Noir Member

Then if it doesnt take on the British Empire in the Far East it has no resources with which to persue its plans of an 'Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere'. It will be severely hampered by a lack of oil, rubber and other natural resources including foodstuffs.

I dont see how replacing Churchill with Lord Halifax makes the Japanese military leadership change their plans for expansion given that they are still fighting in China and still persuing war with America which was only a means to allow them unrestrained expansion in the Far East.

I think you are not looking indepth enough at Japanese foreign policy in the pre-war period.

4. Shangas

Shangas Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the studying and reading and knowledge that I've gathered has led me to understand that the Japanese war was an attempt to occupy resource-rich lands to compensate for the physical small size of Japan and it's inability to produce goods and foodstuffs and other essentials (rice, rubber, land for crops, etc). I don't think the Japanese would have stopped at the Malayan doorstep. They'd already taken Siam, China, Manchuria, Laos, Cambodia...they would have just gone ahead and taken the British colonies in my opinion.

5. British-Empire

British-Empire Member

This is just absurb, your views are completely one sided you are not reviewing facts just pure speculation. This dosn't matter ' As Japan and Italy didnt back Germany when they went to war.' The fact is they were allies, the axis forces, thus making Japans enemys of the European axis's enemys (germany, Italy) meaning war with Japan meant war with Germany.

Were in my scenario have Japan attacked the British Empire? and even if they did it's highly unlikely that Germany would declare war on Britain after Hitler had got the peace he so desired with Britain.
    This is after all a man who said he would use German troops to defend the British Empire if need be.

Yes the British would feel that they were at risk of being invaded, look at these two points

Invasion of Britain was impossible even more so while German was engaged against the USSR.

1.Germany has conquoered the whole of Europe except Britain, dosn't that make you think that you are next?
    No Germany has not conquered the whole of Europe.
    Sweden, Finland, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland etc have not been conquered by Germany and they have no desire to do so.

2.Germany has lied and lied about countries they werent going to invade, but they did why would Britain be any different?

Read Mein Kampf Hitler states he wanted an alliance or atleast peace with Italy and England.

Germany would know this two so they would never move all these hundred of thousands of troops needed in france to hold the costal defenses against the above points.

Read the above.

Now something that you are missing is that for every country that Germany controls that is more and more divisions that are diverted from the frontlines to protect all these countries not only from invasion from other countries, but also to stop partisans and uprisings such as the warsaw uprising, this dosn't include the extra troops need to drive the endless amount of supply trucks needed to not only fuel the frontline divisions but al those in these support areas and the support troops needed to defend these supply lines against resistance units, so these hundreds of thousands of troops would be in every other country but russia.

95% if not all German troops could be withdrawn from Western Europe and used in the East.
    Hitler even suggested this in 1941.

6. British-Empire

British-Empire Member

The Dutch East Indies would provide some resources.
    Oil would be bought from the British yet another reason to avoid war.
    As for Halifax he replaces Chamberlain not Churchill.

7. British-Empire

British-Empire Member

Do you think Japan would be foolish enough to take on the USA and the British Empire while it is not at war elsewhere?

8. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

if these million more soldiers you are refering too are captured soldiers then explain to me how the German slodiers would be able to not only push on the soviet union defences, look after all there captured lands and finally somehow have enough men to look after all those captured soldiers, you try and force a pow to work in an arms industry and see how many duds come out, now just imagine that 1 million times over.

Look even if somehow the japanese avoided a war with the British they would never be able to beat the Americans and other asian countires. eg look at the Pupua New Guniea campaign by the Japanese how many British troops were there compared to American, Anzac and other asian country forces, and they still lost.

quote: It wouldnt dare take on the Empire and the USA at the same time.

You do know that is what actually happened in ww2 don't you?

look this is just going around on circles your complete scenario is absurd your reply to facts are adsurb and the British avoding a world war right on there door step with all there allies and unoffical allies involved is aburd, and what more your timeline is fule of holes and as I said speculation, why would the americans lose miday this time around since nothing has changed from the real world war 2?

9. British-Empire

British-Empire Member

In real time after the conquest of the resourses area the Japanese still had a shortfall in what they needed.
    This wouldnt be the case if they remained trading with the British Empire.

10. British-Empire

British-Empire Member

Captured troops, POW in the arms industry?
    What the hell are you talking about?

11. Tomcat

hahaha this is incredible do you have any real facts or real points about how the germans could achieve this, no you don't, except you continue to argue a point that is unrealistic.

and you use mein kampf as an example of what hitler would do, why don't you learn a little more about what did happen in ww2 compared to what if, fact- he did say i wont invade norway, denmark, belgium, netherlands. fact-he did. 'Hitler suggested' you really are going to trust hitlers control of the Germany army look at all the stupid mistakes no General in his right mind would do.

this is absurd

12. Tomcat

if you had read the post properly then you would have seen that it was a question as to where these million troops were coming from

13. Vince Noir

Vince Noir Member

Come on... Get real...

This statement makes a mockery of attempting counter-factual history.

You are telling me that the British will trade with the Japanese while they progress a war against Holland (Dutch East Indies) and the USA?

Come on... That just aint gonna happen.

14. British-Empire

British-Empire Member

They are the German and Italian troops that where deployed in the West and North Africa.
    Thats before we even count the Turks.

15. British-Empire

British-Empire Member

Why not Whats the Dutch and the Americans to us?

16. Shangas

Shangas Member

look this is just going around on circles your complete scenario is absurd your reply to facts are adsurb and the British avoding a world war right on there door step with all there allies and unoffical allies involved is aburd, and what more your timeline is fule of holes and as I said speculation, why would the americans lose miday this time around since nothing has changed from the real world war 2?

I'm sorry, B/E, but I have to agree with Tomcat here. The British would not ignore the Japanese expansion, especially if it got close to their colonies in South-East Asia. I would not believe that the British would not take SOME action once the Japs had attacked and defeated Siam and were on the southern Siamese border with Malaya.

17. Tomcat

Britain held many lands in North africa, So what the italians are just going to forget there dreams of expansion becasue england didn't go to war with Germany?

Come on mate.

Quote Why not Whats the Dutch and the Americans to us?

And this is why Churchill was elected PM, becuase he knew foreign policy, and that what happens around the world affects you at home.

18. Tomcat

And so does this include the Japanese not invading Australia which after all is commenwealth country which if declared war against is the same as declareing war on Britain.

19. Shangas

Shangas Member

At the outbreak of WWII, the British had the largest empire of all the European Greats. I think it would have been impossible for Japan to carry out it's expansionist dreams without stepping on a proverbial landmine and waking up the Brits. England just had too many colonies for the Japs NOT to be able to ignore them and still carry out their plans.

But let's think about this...

Okay, Britain doesn't enter WWII, or makes peace with the Nazis. The Japs and the US fight it out. With Hawaii taken, the Yanks must find somewhere else close-ish to Japan from which they can base their operations. Australia is a natural choice. It's close, but not too close. It's with a friendly country, and the Americans DID make bases in Australia during WWII.

The Japs get wise to the bases in Australia. Now in *real life*, the Japs bombed the Northern Territory capital city of Darwin TWICE (at least), to drive out the Yanks, who had airplane bases there. Apart from destroying an American base, that would be an attack on the Commonwealth of Australia and on the British Empire - I refer you back to my previous point - that the Japs would not be able to carry out their plans without in some way tripping over a British Crown Colony in the Pacific region.

20. Vince Noir

Vince Noir Member

LMAO!

That kinda puts your thinking into perspective...

You dont seem to consider the close relationship between the Dutch and British monarchies at the time, or the reliance on trade and imports from the USA.

Just one thing regarding Halifax himself...

"By July 1940 Halifax initialled stern Foreign Office rejection of German peace feelers from the Papal Nuncio in Berne, Dr. Salazar in Lisbon and the Finnish Prime Minister..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.