Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Green Berets Vs. Spetsnaz" episode on "Deadliest Warrior."

Discussion in 'Military History' started by JeffinMNUSA, May 28, 2009.

1. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

Well if you saw it you will know that THE SPETSNAZ won the computer simulation; it seems that their combat artistry-born during the desperate days of The Great Patriotic War- overcame the obvious advantage of the M4.
    Some additional comments;
    The Aftermath - Green Beret vs. Spetsnaz
    So does this mean that Russian Spetsnaz can claim the title of "the Deadliest Warriors of all Time"? Not quite yet...the Green Beret mission is the training of Third World guerrillas and counter guerrillas and as such they are not primarily assault warriors. SEAL and DELTA might prove to be some more difficult opponents.
    JeffinMNUSA

2. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Very interesting thank you.

3. Connell91

Connell91 Member

I was a bit angry by the episode. I thought that despite the effectiveness of the spring loaded knife it takes one distraction and you miss and with the shovel you can just swing it again. That had to be the difference because they said that out of 100 kills the spetsnaz only won by 7.

I think if they do it with Seals the spetsnaz dont have a chance.

4. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

granted the "Back flip e-tool death throw" is impressive; but, I would like to see them paired up against a drunk mud Marine.

5. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

a regular dog face fighting for a truck of coke is far deadlier.

6. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

They covered that in the Aftermath episode claiming that the SPetsnaz are a general purpose forces while the American Special Forces have many different units designed for many different things, even the American said that the Seals are more of a direct strike force.

7. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

TC;
    The era in question was the 1980s; Blood on the Sand: Green Beret vs. Spetsnaz and I wonder how the Spets would do against a SEAL team of the time. The most interesting part of the show was the pistol course-our guy stopped and popped each three times target with the Baretta 9mm but left two of them injured. The Spetsnaz popped each target with the Makarov in a continuous flow of movement-taking 5 seconds longer but leaving kill shots on all targets. Who won? Well the Spets according to the judges but I am sure there could be some debate on this. The continuous flow of movement is an interesting doctrine and for certain our Specfors were taking carefull notes.
    JeffinMNUSA

8. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

But, what if the guy in the coke truck is a drunken former Marine? Then you would have a contest of biblical proportions.

Falcon Jun likes this.
  9. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Spetsnaz is a general term which means Special Forces.... Spetsnaz also has subdivisions with Spetsnaz GRU being the elite of the elite. The Spetsnaz shown in the video were NOT GRU.

Few details are actually known about the operations of Spetsnaz GRU, but it is known that the units were heavily involved in operations in Afghanistan and Chechnya. Spetnaz GRU teams usually wear standard-issue VDV uniforms, light blue VDV berets and unit patches in order to avoid identification. However, they can also wear different uniforms, for instance, they would wear the uniform of a unit which is stationed nearby, in order to blend in.

Spetsnaz GRU was the very same outfit which captured the presidential palace and assassinated Afghanistan's president in Soviet Afghan conflict.

This is also the same outfit which has taught the Navy Seals and other U.S. special forces hand to hand combat.

I think they'll do fine. ;)

Now against a drunk muddy marine truck driver....? Well now that's another story! :D

10. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

Slon;
    GRU Spets VS. Navy SEALS or Delta? Now that would be a clash of the Titans-though I doubt it could ever happen considering the cloak of secrecy surrounding all the above named organizations. ANOTHER interesting Spets tactic were those shifting prone firing positions utilizing a continuous flow of motion. This must have surprised more than a few enemy expecting standing shooters.
    Jeffin

11. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Yes all 3 are are exemplary units. All have seen military action in numerous countries and terrain on more then several occasions and all have a cloak of secrecy. Any of these units can change tide of a battle at any time, so to pick one hands down over the other two would be alimentary. One thing is for sure though, GRU holds the significant advantage in hand to hand combat and the ferocity of their training and this is a widely accepted fact by pretty much all nations.

12. lwd

lwd Ace

The only one of these I've seen was the Samurai vs Viking one. While interesting it was deeply flawed as a comparison. They concentrated on flashy techniques and ignored some very important basic ones (such as using a shield for defense).

13. Triple C

Triple C Ace

It's Spike TV. Don't take it too seriously.

I don't think there is any reason to think that the SEALs were more effective than the Green Berets. They might have had tougher physical training but there is a lot more to it than muscles. SEALs allegedly made many missteps in their initial Afghanistan deployment resulting in very high casaulties. See Not a Good Day to Die.

I have actually talked to a SF soldier from that era who said that in a courtesy cross training exercise the Spetsnaz people beat the day light out of them in hand-to-hand combat and that the physical condition of the Russians were superb. He and his buddies agree that if they ever meet the Spetsaz in a fight, they would just have to shoot them.

14. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

The Spetsnaz have arguably the toughest physical training in the world. Sure they lose men in training but that roots out the undesirables to have the men with the best physical features and best reflexes.

I was asking one of my English friends about the idea of SAS vs Spetsnaz in a close quarters fight. He simply said " What is the point of fighting a man who is almost immune to pain and built like a tank?"

I came to the same conclusion.

15. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

As has been said, all of these comparisons are fairly pointless because they rarely talk about specific tasks. The SAS vs. Spetsnaz idea is pretty crazy, I mean I would argue that in covert ops, recce work, general sneaking around the world making life miserable for bad people the SAS are by far superior. If it comes to smashing things over your head on the other hand, Spetsnaz get the coconut.

16. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

SEAL and spetsnaz? i'll pit them against a unit from the british mountain regiment. setting: the himalayas, 12,000+

17. fast1

fast1 Member

lol that is true...[​IMG]

18. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Which 'British mountain regiment'? We don't actually have one now, we have troops trained to work in mountains but no dedicated mountain troops.

Here's one for you to think about, instead of comparing SEALS, spetsnaz and other modern SF units, why not compare them to say a medieval knight, a Samurai or a warrior monk from China? After all, these guys endured incredibly arduous training regiemes from childhood, I'm fairly sure they would stand comparison to any modern soldier.

19. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

Stefan;
    THey aired the entire season yesterday. "Shaolin Monk vs. Maori Warrior" was kind of interesting-a spear made of stingray barbs? NASTY! It's all pretty hypothetical and the criteria are generally weapons based and pretty sketchy. Good entertainment though. Deadliest Warrior IRA vs Taliban | Watch Deadliest Warrior Season 1 Episode 9 S01E09 Live Stream Online Free Full Video Strange they did NOT have any WWII simulations-"Skorzheny commandos vs. Finnish Sissi" might be interesting. Maybe if they have a season 2.
    JEffinMNUSA

20. lwd

lwd Ace

I suspect he's talking about the Gurkas.