Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Gustav Guns

Discussion in 'The Guns Galore Section' started by liang, Aug 21, 2004.

1. liang

liang New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yep, guilty as charge, that's me. Incidentally it was a very hot day and it wasn't very comfortable sitting on top of the metal. I was just blessed that the shell didn't detonate right underneath me.

2. Menel

Menel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The Warsaw Getto Uprising was in 1943 and no heavy artillery was used at all.
    In 1944 it was Warsaw Uprising and the heavist artillery used was Karl.

3. liang

liang New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I didn't realize there was a separate Warsaw uprising in 1944, I presume it was led by the Polish underground. Was it successful? or did the Russians sat and waited for the Polish to be slaughtered before they move it.

4. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think you may have heard of this after all, because that's exactly what happened. Recently the 60-year remembrance ceremony was held, and we had a topic about it.

Basically, some 20,000 Polish underground 'soldiers' rose against the Germans when the Soviets appeared on the other bank of the Vistula, but the Germans stomped the upriusing with brute force while the Soviets sat and watched.

5. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Didn't a Polish formation serving with the Soviets try and relieve the city (deliberately disobeying orders from Soviet High Command) but get slaughtered by the Germans?

6. Menel

Menel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    There were only about 20 000 soldiers of the Polish Home Army and they had very little weapons and ammo only for 7 days.
    The Soviet Army stopped their offensive and let the Germans sloughter the city. Russians say now that they were short off suplies but it was a political decision.
    The Russians didn't allow american bombers with suplies for Warsaw to lend on theit teritory.
    On 17 September the Russian and Polish army took the East part of Warsaw (Praga) . Polish soldiers attacked through the river but got very little support and suffered heavy losses.
    The uprising lasted for 63 days, 18 000 soldiers and 180 000 civilians died. Germans lost about 10 000 soldiers.
    Warsaw was taken on 17 January 1945. In the city there were only a few hidding citizens and only 10% standing buildings.
    The Germans did the dirty work for the Russians killing the best part of Polish Home Army. After the war lots of the Home Army soldiers were arrested, killed or send to Siberia.

7. liang

liang New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I have to admit, stalin was a cruel, yet shrewd man.