Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Had the landing at Omaha failed

Discussion in 'The War In Normandy' started by Cabel1960, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Cabel1960

Cabel1960 recruit

via War44
    Once the landings had taken place and knowing what we know now, there is no way the Allies could have lost the war in Normandy. Had the landing at Omaha failed i still believe the war would have been won. :fag:

What do you think?

2. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    I suppose going on what we know now Cpl Smyth, I guess not! But had something different occurred such as a failing to land at Omaha, then who knows what would have happened ... :wtf:

3. brianw

brianw Member

via War44
    The American landing on Omaha Beach was “difficult” to say the least, but I don’t think that it would have failed in the end. There might well have been a delay in actually securing the beach, and no doubt even more casualties.

By the end of D-Day, the landings at either end of Omaha; Gold beach and Utah beach had more or less achieved their objectives and there was about to be a break-out from Utah which was intended to advance behind the German defenders at Omaha beach.

Don’t forget too that the road to the battle area across the Orne River and the Caen Canal was almost totally secured by the Parachute Regiment at Pegasus Bridge so that re-enforcement of the German positions under pressure from the North was almost impossible.

So, in my opinion, any failure on Omaha Beach would not have caused a failure on the entire D-Day mission but would only have delayed the inevitable for another 24 hours or so.