Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Halifax : Another Drewes victory

Discussion in 'Air War in Western Europe 1939 - 1945' started by Martin Bull, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Well, I'll make the 100th post bringing it neatly back around to the original subject.

I must say that there's a really interesting picture of Martin Drewes in Theo Boiten's 'Nachtjagd' book. Interesting, because most wartime photos of Drewes seem to be posed portraits whereas this one ( on page 175 of the book ) shows him standing next to his bf110, hands on hips, dressed in leather flying gear and one gets the impression of quite a determined and aggressive character....

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

There are several pics of him,,, a series actually taken by the NF pk department. Of him standing alone looking and smiling more like a slur and with his two other crewman in front of the fin. Incidently there are not 47 kills on the rudder, only 22 ! I've seen this shot with captioned 47 designated in more than one book.....very strange [​IMG] He appears to be almost in full flying kit except for his leather helmet

~E~

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Doh ! see the Ritterkreuz with the 25 marked......geez I must be blind. Yes 47 kills at the time.....

~E~

4. TA152

TA152 Ace

Martin and Erich, be sure to look at the two links that KP put under " WWII today " section, they are very good.
    I did have one question that I am having trouble with finding and might as well ask here. What on earth is a Darmstadt-Munchen DM1 ??? Listed under the second link KP put out.

[ 17. April 2003, 06:34 AM: Message edited by: TA152 ]

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Ta, yes very familiar with those two links that Kai put up . thumbs up as there is some very cool stuff there......and hopeful to put up my good friends findings of German nf remains this winter on this site. Nothing like restored birds though, much hard labor but oh so worth it !

From what text does the München-Darmstadt statement come from ? This could be the route of RAF attacks as incoming ? as you can tell I am not too familiar with this phrase.

~E~ hoping to hear more soon.....

6. TA152

TA152 Ace

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I can only guess....a long distance trainer ? Ta, I have never heard of it before.

~E~

8. TA152

TA152 Ace

Success at last !! Darmstadt-Munchen DM1 was also called the Lippisch DM-1 which I have heard of. I looked for it on the NASM web site and missed it the first time because it is listed under the L's. I looked under D for it. :mad:
    Anyway it is a forerunner to the Convair line of delta wing fighters. http://www.nasm.si.edu/nasm/aero/aircraft/lippisch_dm1.htm

9. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Well done, Ta !

Another weird-looking effort, but you can certainly see the influence on the Delta Dagger and Dart.

10. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

On H2S

From Hastings´ Bomber Command

The name was believed to stand for "Home sweet home" but in reality for Hydrogen Sulphide. It earned its evil-smelling acronym when at an early meeting to discuss its progress Lord Cherwell showed scepticism and declared gloomily "It stinks!"....

:eek:

11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Lancaster details.....