Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hand to Hand combat in WW2

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Wolfy, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

These are often referred to by US troops fighting in the Pacific and German army troops fighting in the Eastern Front. It often appears in books yet is rarely described in detail- as if the author is either exaggerating or it is a hard subject.

But I've read that true hand to hand combat with fixed bayonets and knives was a relative rarity, and given the high provision of automatic and semi-automatic weapons... it seems generally unlikely.

I know that the Japanese used the close-in charge, but how about the Americans, UK forces, Germans, and Russians?

2. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

among the airborne it probably would have been used somewhat often due to not having much ammo per say a german ambushes you and in that situation you would probably have to fight with a knife or something being unable to use your weapon.

3. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

My Grandmothers brother fought in the Pacific during the war. Before he left, my great grandfather went out and bought him a knife. After the war, he returned home, thanked his father (my great grandfather) and told him that the knife he bought him saved his life countless times. He then told him, "just never ask me what I did with the knife."

The knife is still in the family and finds use every hunting season.

4. Triple C

Triple C Ace

Bolt-actions made terrible firearms in close range but good blugeons. Bayonets were often used for psychological effect, though I have read (though not on good authority) that veteran Russian and German soldiers preferred knives and trench spades. Americans generally used their Garand semi-autos to great effect at close range, though I'd imagine an obscenely heavy rifle of 9 lbs. makes a good club too.