Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Happy Bastille Day

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Skipper, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Happy Bastille Day to our French members. The weather should be okay for the military parade in Paris, although many local fireworks may be cancelled due to strong wind and gales.

[​IMG]

:flag_france: :flag_france: :flag_france: :flag_france: :flag_france: :dance1: :dance2:

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Enjoy the Parade Skipper! Vive La France :flag_france:

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Joyeuse fete de la Bastille! :S!

4. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Military parade? Oh, you mean this:

[​IMG]

Just joking -- I couldn't resist. Happy Bastille Day to our French delegation! :cheers:

formerjughead likes this.
  5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

That might be a tad harsh, GP, but I must admit to letting loose with a chuckle when I saw it. ;)

Seriously, though, Happy Bastille Day to our members from France. If you do have fireworks, try to ensure they don't all go off at once. :D

[video=youtube;lrPCEubDZ9A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrPCEubDZ9A[/video]

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Happy Bastille day!

7. Alsa.se

Alsa.se Member

Hi,

Thank you for this important reminder for all the French!
    Thank you all for your wishes!

Below is a historical reminder on July 14, French national Day.

regards,

Eric

National Day since 1880, July 14 commemorates the taking of the Bastille in 1789, but also a lesser known event : the Federation Day in 1790.

On July 14, 1790: Festival of the Federation
    Since summer 1789, around the French provinces were created for "federations" of regional National Guard. A reaction to the weakening of central power. To control this spontaneous movement, the Paris Commune, under the leadership of Lafayette, decided to found a great national federation comprising representatives of local federations and to meet in Paris on July 14. The ceremony is supposed to celebrate the taking of the Bastille, but also bring some semblance of order and unity in a country in crisis. On that day, 14,000 soldiers Federated come to Paris and marched under the banner of their department, the Bastille to the Champ de Mars.

On an esplanade for the occasion, a large mass is celebrated, after which King Louis XVI vows to keep "the Constitution decided by the National Assembly". The 400,000 Parisians present that day cheering their sovereign: the monarchy is not questioned. The desire for national unity and the triumph ceremony turns into a big party.

1880: July 14 is National Day
    For nearly a century, the commemoration of July 14 was abandoned. It reappeared in 1880 under the Third Republic. The plan, to consolidate, seeking to build a new national imagination, symbols around Republicans. Thus became the official anthem Marseillaise, and July 14 national holiday. But the proposal emanating from the deputy of the Seine Benjamin Raspail is not accepted unanimously by the Assembly. Some MPs involve violence of July 14, 1789. And it is finally around the July 14, 1790 that is the consensus.

In 1880, for the first national Day, the Republic made ​​it big. The Interior Minister prescribes the prefects to ensure that this day "is celebrated with much pomp that include local resources". A military parade is held on the Longchamp racecourse before 300,000 spectators, with President Jules Grevy. This is to show the recovery of the French army after the defeat against Prussia in 1870. This parade, still in force, is also inspired parade of guards Federated in 1790

From 1880 to today
    In 1886: a woman, canteen from the 131st Infantry Regiment, paraded for the first time.

In 1915 the parade moves from the Champs de Mars Champs-Elysées.

In 1919: the victory parade that brings on the Champs-Elysées, the forces of allied countries.

In 1936 after the military parade, a million person scrolls to the call of the unions.

From 1939 to 1945 in occupied Paris, the day is not celebrated. On July 14, 1940, in London, General de Gaulle reiterated his calls for resistance. In July 1945, we celebrate the liberation throughout France.

(Original texte : L'internaute.com)

View attachment 16970

Attached Files:

TD-Tommy776, gtblackwell and Skipper like this.
  8. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I too wish all our French friends a Happy Bastille Day, watched the "fly over" on the CBS news replay this morning. Have a great day guys.

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Did you notice the Typhoons? The RAF was a special guest for being among the first nations to support the Lybia campaing last year?

I loved the Rafales fly past too.

10. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

The French...The pefidious second only to perfidious Albion...Long may it be so...Vive la belle Francais..today and always.

Skipper likes this.
  11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Belle France or belle Francaise(s) would be more suitable Urgh, I'll leave the Français for the others.:D

12. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

I only do Anglaise and schoolboy franglais...Its an art....we have our own mix of French and English here...Brits understand any other Brit speaking Franglais...its those French that can't make the effort to understand our own joint language...As I've always said...If we all speak English there would be no wars. We seem to insult every nation on earth when we try to speak to them in their own language...I once ordered 2 coffee's and chocolate croissant in Italy for breakfast and found the owner asking me why I'm insulting his mother...true story...not a urqhism..I actually got told I'd insulted his mamma...Since then I've stuck to Franglais...every one speaks that don't they..

13. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

"urgh", as an American "English" speaker, whose schoolboy French and German are a long lost verbal skill ( I can still read both with some confidence), I always found it amusing that an America tourist always assumes that if you speak English slowly and loudly enough anybody in the world will understand. Too funny.

I know just about enough "street" Spanish from my visits to my little sis in Texas to get my face slapped.

14. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

I remember in French class at school attempting to ask the teacher how her day was going, and being informed that I'd just asked if she was enjoying her period.:eek:
    :(Never made that bloody mistake again.....

15. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I have been a Francophile since I first visited that wonderful country in 1960.....showing my age. I feel very fortunate to have been back, mostly through my work, many times. Watching the Tour this week brings back many wonderful memories , I watch the country side as much as the racers. Sitting on top of Vauban's Citadel walls above Besancon , having a picnic with my family , of good wine, goat cheese , French bread and looking across Doubs is life altering.

The French were very instrumental is helping us gain Independence as we have to them, Vive la France. Before I die I would love to be in Paris on Bastille Day.

Gaines

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You'd love it gaines, many American tourist assist to the parade because France is one of the last nations in the west to have kept this military parade tradition. You'll find bigger ones in Moscow , pekin and Pnomh-pheng . Foreigners usually love the Legion's march best. This year almost 5000 soldiers paraded and among them were exchange programme soldiers from allied countries.

[​IMG]
    Foreign Legion

[​IMG]
    Polytechnique academy

[​IMG]
    republican guards

[​IMG]
    Marines

[​IMG]

U.N Mandate (Libanon)