Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Happy Memorial Day

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Col. Hessler, May 30, 2005.

1. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

Happy Memorial Day everyone. Don't forget to put out your flag.

[​IMG]

Remember those who gave the ultimate sacrafice for freedom. Freedom isn't free.

Poppy likes this.
  2. Bill Murray

Bill Murray Member

Put it out??? :confused: Not a day goes by where my flag does not fly or has been flown in the almost 5 and a half years that I have lived in my house. [​IMG] I did however lower mine to half mast this morning for all of our brothers and sisters who have now taken up the eternal post. [​IMG] Here's to them, may the memory of them and their service to their respective countries live forever in our hearts and minds. :S!

Poppy likes this.
  3. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

Bill, I likewise fly my flag every day. I just stated it like that because some people only fly them on holidays. That is a shame. What is even worse is when people don't fly them at all. I was driving down my streat today and only about 5 people had flags! Before 9/11 no one even thought of flying their flags. Then after everyone was so patriotic. Now, that seems to be fading away. I guess it was just a trend. Our country needs more people like me and you.

4. Bill Murray

Bill Murray Member

This is a shame Col, and you are right too many only fly their flags on the holidays. What was encouring however was the fact that about 200 people attended a Memorial Day service at our local American Legion post this morning.

5. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

I put my flag out today.

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

"Remember, lest ye be forgotten."

7. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

I have two flags out.

Poppy likes this.
  8. Jba45ww2

Jba45ww2 Well-Known Member

Happy Memorial Day to all. I fly my my flay every day and when the sun goes down it is properly lit until the sun rises. I did fly the flag at half mast in the morning in remembrance to my father and all of the brave souls who have protected our country and given the ultimate sacrifice. At noon I raise the flag to full mast which has always been our family tradition. The tradition was started by my grandfather after my father was killed in WW2. My oldest son has also continued with the same tradition with his family so that the sacrifices of those before will never be forgotten

Poppy and Half Track like this.
  9. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Happy Memorial day...can someone please explain what gets memorialized on this day?
    As for flags, Australians don't fly them much - we do have a habit of wearing them like capes though...

[​IMG][​IMG]

We do have a 13m x 6m mega flag flying everyday on Parliament House
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

We Yanks have Memorial Day just as you have Anzac Day, only ours started after our Civil War. We commemorate our dead servicemen and women on that day, and our Veteran's Day is November 11th.

OpanaPointer and CAC like this.
  12. Jba45ww2

Jba45ww2 Well-Known Member

13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

So what do the Rebs do on this day? Just jokes...does one say "happy" memorial day? Is it a celebration also?

14. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

It is difficult to wish someone a somber Memorial Day, but it really is more appropriate. It was founded by the Grand Army of the Republic, i.e., the postwar Union veteran association, but after Reconstruction it came to be observed (celebrated isn't the right word either when commemorating the deaths of about 620,000) by the former Rebels as well.

TD-Tommy776 and CAC like this.
  15. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Nicely explained, thankyou.

16. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

article.jpeg

ColHessler likes this.
  17. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Even better, we pass out paper poppies on Memorial Day, rather than Veteran's Day (Armistice Day).

18. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Over six hundred thousand American died fighting each other in the Civil War. That shit will always be important to remember.

RichTO90 likes this.
  19. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

My wife's cousin was in the SS and MIA on the Eastern Front. Should we remember him with those who died serving their country? Surely, as a family we can. More than that? An interesting question.

When the kids were small we would cut down a small, straight tree to use as a flag pole and raise the flag in our front yard. Now they are adults and I've been honoring the dead on Memorial Day by using social media in both friendly and enemy places on the web.

This years post.

Wallace Kidder - Garibaldi, Washington - KIA 11/21/43

Thank you for your sacrifice, Wallace. It is a beautiful day here in the PNW on this Memorial Day. I tried to find the son that you never got a chance to see to give him your picture. They named him Wallace Jr in your honor. Sadly, I was a couple of years late but maybe you know that now. I would have told your son about his dad's war experiences and how much his father was loved and respected by his band of brothers.

ColHessler and CAC like this.