Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Have you seen this image?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by mixon, Feb 20, 2020.

1. mixon

mixon New Member

eye bookmark.jpg

I've come across my Nan's New Testament which she received at a VJ Day party in 1945 in the UK. On one of the pages, she's placed a makeshift bookmark. It's a clipping, though I'm not sure what from. The clipping depicts an eyeball, and it's printed on a very low-gloss fibrous cardstock.

I am wondering if anyone has come across this image before, or knows anything about it. I'm very curious to what this is from, and can't ask her myself as she's passed on.

The inner page of the New Testament reads the following information regarding her location when she received it:

V-J. PARTY No. 69
    Graylands Road
    Hazlemere Road
    Castlemain Road
    Surday, September 8th 1945

Any thoughts welcome,
    -Mixon

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

At a stretch you could make a V and a J from the image...? Bit weak sorry...

mixon likes this.
  3. mixon

mixon New Member

Interesting, something to think about. Thanks for your reply!

4. Owen

Owen O

It might be from a game where you make up faces from various facial features .
    I'm sure we had something like it back in the 70s.
    Something like this.

Attached Files:

mixon likes this.
  5. mixon

mixon New Member

Thanks for the reference images!

I took a deeper look, and the marker texture on these game pieces, as well as the crosshatching of the printer's ink onto the paper, looks extremely similar to the 'bookmark' I've got here. The only major difference I can see is that the 'bookmark' has a jagged cut out, it's not smooth like these Identipops pieces:

identipops6sdfgdf.jpg

Something of note though, seems like this board game came out in 1969, 24 years after she got this bible.

playvalue.png

I'm sure there were similar games though, and the likeness of those pieces give me a clue into where it might have came from. Can't be certain but this is some great observation, so thanks for your input!

If anyone knows of any similar games, or has their own thoughts- I'm very open!

-Mixon

Owen likes this.
  6. Owen

Owen O

My Mum's Holy Bible is full of bookmarks of various ages. She's in her 80s now & had it since the 1940s.

mixon likes this.