Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Heartfelt letter written by English mother to American family during WW2

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by Heartfeltzero, Apr 25, 2023.

1. Heartfeltzero

Heartfeltzero Active Member

4B3EAD9E-2621-4BB1-AEAF-9C6A6D34FA13.jpeg
    3CC6DB11-C0A3-4683-B14A-2C5FBCD76394.jpeg
    This letter was written by an Elizabeth Williamson. She lived in Liverpool, England. She had a son who I’m assuming(based on the letter) served in the British Merchant Navy during the war. She was writing to an American back in the states thanking him for the Hospitality they showed her son while he was there. The letter reads:

“46 Lombard St
    West Derby Rd
    Liverpool 6.

Saturday
    9/12/1944

Dear Mr. Wood,

I have just received your letter dated November 8th, just a month. It was very welcome indeed, and I am very grateful to you for making Kenneth so welcome in your home and entertaining him so well.

I feel quite sure that both he and his chum fully appreciate your kind and generous hospitality. He has been going to sea since he was fifteen and is only eighteen now, although like hundreds of young lads, he gave his wrong age. His first ship being a Norwegian oil tanker, so you can imagine how i worried and watched for news. He has made some very good friends in New York and visits them every time the ship calls, and they write fairly often.

He is full of praise of the American hospitality and thinks them the most kind hearted people in the world to all service men and that you all cannot do enough to give all seamen a “hearty welcome”. We may be very wonderful, but what about your boys from “over the seas”. I have spoken and know quite a good few, who were stationed near, for twelve months, and left just before D Day, and have been in all the fighting in France.

You see, we English owe a lot to America and realize it was their help and money which enabled us to carry on fighting. So thank God for “Uncle Sam” and may “God Bless America”. Thanks again for your kindness to my son, Kenneth. I am very glad the sea has not roughened or spoilt him. Trusting this finds you in the best of health and spirits.

I remain yours very sincerely,

Elizabeth Williamson”
    11675468-37E7-425A-B7C3-8E28D3CF0653.jpeg
    E380808D-1C40-451D-A609-65CE6A108C6A.jpeg

CAC, LRusso216 and Biak like this.
  2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

When one thinks of Humanity this is an excellent example. If we would stop, listen and learn from Ms. Williamson we'd be in a better place.

Signed in just to give a Like. The post deserves a SALUTE !!!

Heartfeltzero likes this.
  3. Heartfeltzero

Heartfeltzero Active Member

Agreed!
    Glad you enjoyed the post!

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I agree. Kudos to all.

Heartfeltzero likes this.
  5. Owen

Owen O

Attached Files:

LRusso216 and Heartfeltzero like this.
  6. Temujin

Temujin Active Member

Info on Mrs Earl D Woods, her husband Draft card, and their address in 1932. She also had a son, who was the same age as Kenneth

Eleanor Curtis Davenport
    1897–1980
    BIRTH 2 NOV 1897 • New York, New York, USA
    DEATH 1980

IMG_8092.jpeg

IMG_8093.jpeg

7. Temujin

Temujin Active Member

Location of 20 Duffield Rd, Auburndale, just outside of Boston

IMG_8094.jpeg

And also a photo of the house, I just check, this IS the original house, built in 1930

IMG_8095.jpeg