Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hearts of Iron II on January 4

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Heartland, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Heartland

Heartland Member

I know there are a few fellow Hearts of Iron fans on this board, but figured it would be appropriate to do a heads-up for other people, as the seemingly much-improved Hearts of Iron II is about to be released.

The game is a huge simulation of World War II at the strategic-operational level, including land, sea and air combat, as well as diplomacy, research, and whatnot.

More info can be found at the developers site.

Oh, and they have also released a number of different gift certificates for Christmas, suitable for various loved ones, he he he...

[​IMG]

Edit: Linked the huge certificate, and put in the title screen.

[ 18. January 2005, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Heartland ]

2. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Carl G. E. von Mannerheim Ace

NICE, this is great news for HOI fans,

cant wait to get it

3. dasreich

dasreich Member

I've only had it for 12 hours and I'm already addicted. HOI 2 is definitely the best grand strategic WW2 game ever. Maybe the best WW2 game period.

4. Heartland

Heartland Member

Yes, the reviews and comments makes it sound that way, and certainly much improved from the original HOI, which while fun certainly could be polished quite a bit.

Obscenly enough for a game developed in Sweden, it is only released in here today (the 14th!), so I'm probably going to get it after the weekend...

Meanwhile I have rediscovered the previous Paradox game - Crusader Kings, which I didn't play much when it came out. Recently I have read a couple of books on medieval times and the crusades, and suddenly the game is complete blast! Love the focus on a dynasty, as opposed to country, for a change. Currently my (not so) brave Count of Salerno is hunkered down in his single province. Not very competent or rich, I must try to secure a wife and offspring for the aging Count, before the dynasty ends with a whimper...and at the same time the obnoxious church is chastising me for not launching my puny forces against Muslim holdings...the sheer nerve of it!

5. Heartland

Heartland Member

6. dasreich

dasreich Member

I guess us Yanks just take priority! [​IMG]

7. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I just got the game yesterday. One thing i noticed right off the bat is that there is finally an Intro Movie to the game! lol. HOI didnt have one as far as i can recall. Havent had much of a chance to play it yet - did do the tutorials to see what was new and liked the interface a lot. Started an Italian campaign and conquered Ethiopia easily. Still have to work out the supplies/resources etc since they are all Red right now instead of Green. I like the Research Team aspect of things too

8. Heartland

Heartland Member

Curses! I'm going to make a special point of crushing your puny nation in the game! [​IMG]

Seriously though, I only picked it up yesterday, but so far the changes look great. The more streamlined research and generally cleaned-up interface certainly has done wonders. Poked around a bit in the game, did a few tutorials and checked out the 1936 campaign as the Soviet Union. Slightly miffed that the SU is already locked into the "Human Wave" ( :mad: at the name as well) land doctrine, but what the heck.

Oh, and Mussolini, I believe there was an intro for HOI1 as well, although possibly very short. Ended with a bomb dropping out of an airplane, the HOI logo appeared in the wake of a silly overdone explosion, and the narrator cheezily going "Where diplomacy ends...WAR begins!" Something along those lines.

9. Mussolini

lol - right. I remember that now, pretty crappy. The new one isnt anything spectacular either, but better then nothing at all. I've decided to start off as the US for now...somewhere around 1947/48...Germany has annexed Austria, Nationalist Spain won the Spanish Civil War, Japan is owning Nationalist China...i've developed what look like V-1s...and my fleet is around 130+ ships with 4 or 5 Air Craft Carriers, though my plane and tank technology sucks (Infantry are at '39). Too many choices to choose from for research!

10. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Carl G. E. von Mannerheim Ace

is this game worth getting?

11. Heartland

Heartland Member

Initial impressions only so far, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would answer that with an unqualified YES!

The annoying stuff from HOI has been cut to a minimum, while retaining the good parts. There are a few things I disagree with, but so far I like HOI2 a lot better than HOI.

Best parts so far:
    - Convoys can be set to automanage, no need to mircomanage a zillion convoys as the British Empire.
    - Commanders can be assigned automatically.
    - Land combat improved with new system.
    - Air and sea combat much nicer with the new area/province patrol system, instead of telling each and every unit what to do all the time. For example, you can set ships and aircraft to patrol multi-province areas until a certain time or losses have been sustained. Ie fighters sweeping northern France, destroyers patrolling the South China sea for subs, support aircraft hitting troops, etc.
    - Ability to assign, remove and upggrade attachments to land units, such as AT, AA, Artillery brigades, engineers and whatnot.
    - The research system is much easier to manage, and makes a lot more sense.
    - Same goes for reinforcements and upgades to existing units.
    - Few bugs and a pretty good manual(!).

12. Mussolini

So as the US, i was thinking that i would not become involved in a war. Germany took Danzig through Diplomacy and Slovakia and Romania are the only Axis members with Germany. Italy, of course, took Ethiopia and Albania but thats its. Only Japan/China is there any action, and the Nationalist Chinese are now kicking Japans butt. The Chinese regained all lost territory by the time the Pearl Harbour event happened. So then i began kicking Japanese butt in the Pacific, with help from the Allies (who i allied with) to the extent that the Chinese took the Japanese lands to the North of China, the UK annexed Manchuria, and Japan gave me all but maybe 2 - 4 Pacific Islands that it controlled in order to Sue for Peace. I took this as a good break - having lost the majority of my Transports (i mistakenly had them in their own group with no ships, and they got attacked by a Maraduing Japanese ship :( ) I also mass produced Marine Divisions (for the eventual invasion of Japan so that i have about 20 of them (insane, i know) but there doesnt look like there will be war in Europe. Also have developed Rocket Technology and am starting on Nuclear Research (drum roll).