Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hearts of Iron IV

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Mussolini, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Hearts of Iron IV, 2 years in development, was released today!

Quite a visual and gameplay change compared to previous versions of HOI.

I did a quick little run through and turned the USA to a Fascist Nation, called the 'Free American Empire'...and destroyed my Canadian Neighbor in the ensuing ideological war. So, plenty of fun possibilites!

I think, however, my first proper game will be as a pro-Allied USA.

Otto and Slipdigit like this.
  2. McCabe

McCabe Active Member

I bought it as well (I loved HOI2DH). I still have more tutorial videos to get through, but this looks really nice so far. They've done a great job on this, all around.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Matt is Alive!

4. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

He lives! :mattc:

I own a few versions of Hearts of Iron, great game but never had the time to play a full campaign.

5. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I do! Still friends with a few you guys on Facebook (like the two people above this post!).

So, I have had some time to play HOI 4 at this stage.

While I like the new Production Mechanics and the 'cosmetics' of the game, thats about it.

They've removed Trade, Politics, Espionage, OOB, and dummed down the Tech-Tree so that every country has the same Tech-Tree.

Politics, for instance....the 1936 Election in the USA has the Democratic Party at 100%. However, when the event fires, you can switch over to Republic - 'The Democratic Party will be renamed Republican Party' is what the tooltip says. :confused:

They've borrowed 'political points' from other Paradox games, where you collect x-amount a day, or through National Focus (which each take 70 days to complete, so you go through them quickly). Using Political Points, you can assign a Nazi to your government, which starts to turn your Politics towards the Nazis....so relatively quickly you can have a peaceful revolution and turn the USA into the 'Free American Empire' - a Fascist country! I think the Devs spent more time on :weed: than anything else!

I don't know how they came up with Fascist Names for non-fascist countries. Australia, apparently, turns into 'The Empire of the Platypus' when/if it goes Fascist.

Lots of queer stuff happens in the game - several times I have seen France DOW Germany over the Rhineland, which just screws things up. The French Commune in Calais revolts (French Communists) and often joins the Comintern...so you then have Axis vs Allies, and Comintern vs Allies. Apparently, if you are fighting the same enemy as some one, they can freely move their troops through your country (and vice versa) - no permission, no way to prevent them from doing so.

They've removed Trade - no notifications, no deals. As long as you have factories, you can click any country and trade for their goods. As far as I can tell, you can't deny trade with a country unless you do an Embargo against a Faction in the National Focus tree, which is only for the Majors.

I may bring back my 'Reviews' if people are interested in them - and can write up a proper one for HOI 4.

Hearts of Iron 3 is still much better, especially with the Black ICE Mod which makes it absolutely amazing. They're close to finished the mod (or are about to start work on bringing it into the Cold War Era) so I think i will do a review of the mod as well if people are interested in reading more about it.

Also looks like the Avatars on the forum (size wise) have changed a bit...I'll have to make a new one!

For those interested in playing games on the PC and have Steam, send me a PM and I can share my information with you for contact on there. I am a modder of the Global War 1939 Mod on Tabletop Simulator (its like Axis & Allies...on crack and steroids!) and would certainly be interested in playing that with people too!

Otto likes this.