Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Heavy artillery

Discussion in 'Artillery' started by aglooka, Aug 13, 2009.

1. aglooka

aglooka Member

What was the largest artillery weapon that made sense in world war II. The Gerlans built some giants (and used a few leftovers from WWI: the Gamma gerat, 420, 380, 305 howitzers from Skoda manufacture, and French railway guns of sizes between 305mm to 400mm and 520mm) but none of these were practical weapons by that time i think. Just the in siege of Sebastopol they might have been useful but were they indispensable for even that special case ?

I would say the vanilla 8 inch howitzer.

What does the group think ?

greetings

Aglooka

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

3. aglooka

aglooka Member

Yes, but i would call Dora and Gustav the most obvious examples of bad use of resources in superheavy artillery (and the morsers Karl etc...and the 355mm howitzer)

Aglooka

4. aglooka

aglooka Member

I would say, use the captured 1st WWI equipent for special cases and buil nothing new.

Aglooka

5. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

The sensible arty would be the 155mm.
    Anything bigger would be to heavy to shift about in offensive operations.

The siege of Sevastopol merited heavier arty, but anywhere else field arty would do just fine.

6. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

The K5 280 mm railway guns were pretty effective, much less the "white elephants" that the 80 cm Schwerer Gustav/Dora guns proved themselves to be.

At least those two K5s used at Anzio were a bit of a "problem" for the allies for a time. Don't know if those on the French coast were of much use in repelling the allied landings though.

7. phmohanad

phmohanad Member

Hello Artillery Fans : I think The Best Artllery Piece Was Installed on SturmTiger!! Its Caliber Was 380mm Mortar Shell!!
    The Only Games I've Seen This Monster in Were BattleField-1942 Secret Weapons over WW2 Mod+ Men Of War-Commanders Of War Mod!!

8. SPGunner

SPGunner Member

9. Super Heavy Tank

Super Heavy Tank Member

do you know anything about the sturmtiger? it is a very fascinating weapon and i would like to learn more about it.

10. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

russian 203mm gun was good

11. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Sturmtiger / Sturmpanzer VI

12. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Here is a link to some fascinating "tanks" in a museum in the former Soviet Union;

WWII German tanks and carriers

The only surviving example (to my knowledge) of a "Maus" is housed there.

13. aglooka

aglooka Member

And was for example used in the direct fire rolo in Berlin to take out strong points

Agkooka

14. aglooka

aglooka Member

15. aglooka

aglooka Member

The 38 cm gun in the Sturmtiger was in effect not a gun but a rocket launcher. Its not for semantics that state this here , but because that entails that the shells of the ST were much lighter than those of a gun with similar calibre. (ST rocket launcher had a charge of only 125 kg and a total weight of about 350 kg(thats including the rocket) For a regular 38 cm this was about 800 kg for the shell alone.

greetings

Aglooka

16. aglooka

aglooka Member

The US 8inch howitzer was mounted in the same carriage. So must have been about the same weight.

many greetings

Aglooka

17. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

Good point, but what of the weight of the shells...?

18. aglooka

aglooka Member

I'll try to find out wether these were still manhandable. (i have a book somwhere on US atillery but cannot find it)
    The 8inch howitzer seemed to have had its role since mechanised versions stayed into service into the 80'ies at least if i remember correctly

Aglooka

19. Carl W Schwamberger

Carl W Schwamberger Ace

The US 8" or 203mm projectile weighed approx 91 kilograms. A bit more with the fuze. Those I trained with were often loaded by hand. The projectile lay on a cradle with long handles on each side. Two crewmen could lift the cradle to the breach tho four were better. Once the tip of the cradle was set in the breech opening two crew would ram the projectile in with a ramrod. Next the powder man would set the propellant charge on the cradle & it would be shoved in with the ramrod.

Our 1950s technology self propelled howitzers had hydralic lifts & rams, however this was 1983 & they frequently malfunctioned. So, we were quite familar with the manual loading drill. The poor unfortunate Koreans still had some towed 203mm cannon and did all loading manually with those.

I place the 203mm as the upper limit for practical field artillery. Aside from weight of the cannon and carriage the rate of fire slows with size of projectile/propellant charge. With the 203mm howitzer we could briefly reach a RoF of two rounds per minute, but for sustained fire it would be less than one per minute. The larger cannon used by the Germans frequently had practical RoF of three to five minutes per round. Accuracy and destructive power does not seem to justify that.

Jaeger likes this.
  20. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under