Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Heavy weapons?

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by KMZgirl, Jun 9, 2017.

1. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Question: I am interested in what weapons 90th Division, 357th Regiment, Company H would have been TRAINED to use. Pardon my ignorance, but I tried to search this out on my own with no success. My very limited understanding is that company h means heavy weapons? What exactly were those heavy weapons? Thanks!

2. lwd

lwd Ace

Infantry Structure
    It looks like H company is the heavy weapons company of the 2nd battalion. Which doesn't address your question directly. But looking down a bit it states: "The heavy weapons company (authorized strength - 166) was designed to allow the battalion commander to add combat weight to the battalion in general, or to specific companies or parts of the battlefield. In addition to a headquarters cell, the weapons company contained two platoons of heavy machine guns (four .30 caliber water-cooled guns per platoon) and one 81mm mortar platoon of six guns. The 81mm mortar of WWII could lob a 15-lb high explosive projectile to a range of about 3,200 yards. The battalion commander generally apportioned the heavy machine guns to support particular rifle companies as he saw fit for specific situations, but usually retained the mortar platoon under the direct control of the battalion’s command group."

There's also some info here:
    http://www.trailblazersww2.org/pdf/eto-015.pdf
    look to page 14 or there abouts

This document may also be of interest:
    http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/690267.pdf

3. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Thank you! I have another question, please. So, the infantry basic training for The 90th Division was for 3 months (I assume with smaller weapons) then they were split into regiments and companies? Or were they already split into regiments during basic? It's amazing what I don't know. LOL I'm going to go read the links you posted now. Again, a great big thanks!

4. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

There are others better versed on this, but likely they would start with company sized training, then moving up to battalion level training and then graduating to Regimental training with each step building on what had gone on previously. Now with a late or later war formation there would be post induction (volunteer/draftee) would be assigned to the most basic training company to be taught how to march, shoot etc and then upon graduation sent to a actual combat formation to get the higher level all arms training to function as a actual combat unit. Now this does not account for those who became 'replacements' in the latter stages of the war. Often they got only 'basic' training and then 'advanced' training in their combat specialty. In the last year of the war many found themselves trained in non-combat arms only to be sent into line company's as riflemen to meet the voracious appetite of front line units. Literally learning on the job.

5. lwd

lwd Ace

Rich and others are the experts in that regard. I'm half way decent with search engines. Hopefully he or one of the others with more knowledge in the area will chime in soon.

Tried to post this and it didn't post for some reason ... The belasar chimed in making at least one of the sentences above more or less superfluous. If we are lucky a couple more will post before this does and I won't feel any need to post it at all....:)

6. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Dad was initially in the 90th ID, 357th Regiment, Company H. He was drafted and sent to Camp Barkeley in 1942. I was curious what he learned there to end up a Thompson Submachine Gun instructor at Ft Shafner and then later wind up in the CBI. I'm trying to trace and understand his steps. So I went back to the beginning. While he didn't go to The Euopean Theater, he started out with men who ultimately did. I have him at Camp Barkely fom March to at latest October or November of 1942. Then boom, he leaves for CBI. Just trying to make sense of it all. I have read a history of the 357th that I found online. While helpful, it didn't help me figure out why dad didn't stay with this group of men. Apparently, he was destined to be an instructor for atleast part of his service. I enjoy this so much. (Learning) Thanks!

7. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

Most likely he demonstrated skill with the weapon above the norm and was reassigned to become a instructor and taking him out of the 'system' for the 90th Division. Once out of the 90th in theory he could be assigned to any command that might have needed someone with his qualifications, hence movement orders to the CBI. It might help to know to which unit he was assigned. There were very few standard American combat units in the CBI region and to my knowledge none larger than a Regiment. With his instructor background he might have been part of the assistance group that helped to arm and train Nationalist Chinese forces or he may have become part of a security detachment for transport of aid to China.

One thing to remember is that personnel movement orders were not always strictly logical and could reflect requests for transfers from a support position to a combat unit or a 'punishment' set into motion by a officer with issues.

8. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Yes, he did serve in Casual Detachment 8925b for a time as an instructor because he has the instructor pin on his hat. I don't have his uniform, just his garrison hat and some of his medals. His letters home dated 1943 had the Ramgath APO, where this occurred. They started out addressed as HQ HQ Inf DET. Then HQ HQ CT CC. So, that must have been Chinese Training and Chinese Command. All the info I have found online about the CT CC is pretty much late 1944 and 1945, when he returned stateside. Wish I could find info fom when he was there. I've read a lot on the cbihistory website. It is awesome....

9. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I've been researching an OSS vet of Detachment 101. In his personnel file, CT is referring to "China Theater". Not saying it can't mean Chinese Training, but thought I'd put it out there.

10. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Yes, that crossed my mind too. It was his APO address at Ramgarh where Chinese were being trained. I'm digging. :) Any and all help is appreciated.

11. Dylan45

Dylan45 New Member

Interesting! Subscribed for any further info.

KMZgirl likes this.
  12. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Good morning and welcome, Dylan! Thanks for bumping this post. Which part are you curious about? Maybe I can share some more info with you.

Dylan45 likes this.
  13. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

The longer you walk, the heavier they get. /empirical.

KMZgirl likes this.
  14. Dylan45

Dylan45 New Member

Thank you KMZgirl. I talked to this guy at a local car meet up. He mentioned his father was in 357th Regiment Company H as well if I remember it right. If so, he's probably at Company H as well. I will check those link shared by lwd.

KMZgirl likes this.
  15. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Great! Dad spent about 7 or 8 months with the 357th. I found a basic stateside history online, but not much else.

Dylan45 likes this.
  16. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

KMZgirl, if you didn't get my reply to your question you might want to inquire at the Center for Military History, the Army's historical webpage.

KMZgirl likes this.