Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Heinz Guderian??

Discussion in 'Leaders of World War 2' started by PfloyD, Feb 23, 2005.

1. PfloyD

PfloyD New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I've often wondered about what became of the german panzer general:
    heinz guderian.............
    as far as i know guderian was sent to the reserves in 41 by hitler, after guderian have had a fight (not litteraly- but in words..... i just cant remember that word right now!) with one of hitlers "pet" generals (sort of) von kluge.. (pleeeease correct me if im wrong!!!) but i dont know what happened with him after that.........
    i would really like to know :roll:

(dont hope i get trasched by any one for this :lol: )

2. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I don't know what he did between 1941 and 1945, but in April 1945 he was Chief of Staff of OKH, the German Land Forces supreme command. He got into an argument with Hitler over the defence of the Oder line and was sent off; this discussion is described in Cornelius Ryan's work "The Last Battle". He is reported to have said as he left that the last bit of rationality left the Oberkommando with him.

3. PanzerMeister

PanzerMeister New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Guderian was often called by troops "Schnell Heinz" (Fast Heinz) and von Kluge was called Klug Hans (Wise Hans).

In 1943 he became the General Inspector of Panzertruppen.

4. cheeky_monkey

cheeky_monkey New Member

via TanksinWW2
    thats right he was put in charge of reorganising the german armoured divisions at the start of 1943.

he advocated that he needed at least a year to reorganise and re-equip those divisions with the new panthers tigers and ferdinands etc and argued against any offensives on the eastern front during 1943.

he was operational commander of the eastern front at the beginning of 1945, and tried to get kurland and norway evacuated and troops on the westrn front diverted to east prussia and poland before the russian winter offensive, with out success.

he was finally sacked from okh by hitler (he was told to take sick leave) at the end of march 1945.