Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Helicopter Retires After Service

Discussion in 'Military History' started by JCFalkenbergIII, Apr 16, 2008.

1. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

April 10, 2008
    Air Force Print News|by TSgt Kristina Newton

HURLBURT FIELD, Fla. - MH-53 Pave Low helicopter tail number 68-10357 flew its final mission and last flight supporting special operations forces March 28 in Iraq after 38 years of service.
    The helicopter was the lead command and control helicopter for a mission to rescue approximately 50 American prisoners of war from the Son Tay prison camp in North Vietnam in 1970, which became a significant event for Air Force special operations.
    From Iraq, the MH-53 known as 357 will be transported to the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force in Dayton, Ohio, where it will sit on display in the Cold War Gallery.
    "It's fitting that this aircraft's last mission was flown in combat before it is placed on permanent display at the museum," said Lt. Gen. Donald C. Wurster, commander of Air Force Special Operations Command and an MH-53 pilot. "Aircraft 357 led a formation of HH-53 and HH-3 helicopters on a daring raid into North Vietnam to rescue American POWs. Of those five 53s that participated, only tail number 357 is left."
    Historical records indicate 66 prisoners were being held at the Son Tay camp, located 23 miles west of Hanoi.
    Although the mission was considered a tactical failure because no prisoners were found at the camp, it was also considered a success because conditions for POWs held in North Vietnam improved after the raid.
    Training for the Son Tay raid began in the summer of 1970 at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., under the command of Brig. Gen. LeRoy J. Manor, who retired as a lieutenant general. There, an all-volunteer team of Army and Air Force conventional and special operations members planned and practiced flight and ground operations for a rescue mission deep into North Vietnam. The mission was repeatedly rehearsed using a full-sized compound mock-up near Duke Field, known as Auxiliary Airfield No. 3.
    For Operation Kingpin, HH-53 357, mission call sign "Apple 1," was flown by Lt. Col. Warner Britton and carried the operation commander, Army Col. Arthur Simons and his team of Soldiers to the target.
    The crew of "Apple 1" was decorated with an Air Force Cross and four Silver Stars for their role in the raid.
    Within 1.5 years of the Son Tay mission, three of the five HH-53s were lost, two in combat operations and one destroyed on the ground in Danang during a rocket attack by the Vietcong. The fourth HH-53 was converted to an MH-53J and flew in a special operations role for many years. It was lost in combat in Afghanistan in 2002.
    Although "Apple 1" changed call signs many times since 1970, it continued to fly in operations supporting U.S. national objectives around the globe.
    "It is awe inspiring to know people sat in this very seat and created history," said Col. Brad Webb, 1st Special Operation Wing commander and MH-53 pilot. "I've flown this tail number periodically since 1988," Colonel Webb said. "The closest I came to combat while flying 357 was a combat search and rescue mission for a British aircraft shot down near Gorazde, Bosnia-Herzegovenia in 1994. I also flew it in Kuwait several times under combat support missions for Operation Southern Watch in 2001."
    Inevitably, aircraft age and technology advances.
    As a result, the MH-53 Pave Low's long and distinguished career will soon complete its service to the Air Force. The remaining MH-53s in the Air Force inventory will be retired as they return from combat duty.

2. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Yes sir, a full and distinguished life. I'm glad the bird will end his life in a museum instead of being cut up for scrap :)

This is irrational on my part, but I can't even look at aircraft boneyards. I can't open a book on photos from AMARC, Davis-Montham, etc.

3. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

That is a shame. I flew in these when I was assigned to SAR units in the UK. I liked them better than the UH-60 Blackhawks. She is a beauty

[​IMG]

4. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Its nice to see that it will have a new home and not a lonely death.

5. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Good thing. The ones I saw in the Middle East....Whoa.... They looked like flying death traps close up. Patches here and there. Leaking who knows what in various spots. A bunch of kids working on them. Lots of military grade Bondo. Not something that inspired confidence.
    FYI I was installing diesel generators and directing electrical work on the facilities where these were, not working on the helicopters themselves.

6. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Then I'm going to have to take lots of photos in Tucson next time I'm there and post them up of it just to see you cry...

7. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Now that I believe since the last time I flew in one was back in the 80's.

8. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Terry, what was your mother thinking of when she was ...uhhhhh, ok, ok, I'll change subject :D

Unless I'm wrong, I think therein lies a tale...

9. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

well at least it was operational up untill retirment. I hate to see anything mothballed to death

10. krieg

krieg Ace

what are the two big missiles looking things on each side of the bird

11. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

External fuel tanks
    MH-53j Pavelow III Helicopter

To enable the MH-53j to carry out long range missions, it carries 2 external fuel tanks, each old up to 450 gallons of fuel. These tanks nearly double the MH-53j's range out to 900km and can be jettisoned when used up. A refueling probe allows the Pavelow III to top-up from airborne tankers.

The internal tanks are located in the wing stubs.

[​IMG]

12. krieg

krieg Ace

they would make a grand target from small arms ground fire or they bullit
    proof .. mw...:confused:

13. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Selfsealing tanks like all fuel tanks. Plus I believe they are jettisoned if being fired upon.

14. krieg

krieg Ace

what sort of fire power did they carry :confused:

15. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

CrewPilot, Co-pilot + 3 crew chiefs/gunners
    Engines: 2x4,380hp GE T63-GE-415 Turboshafts
    Dimensions: L - 20.47m, W (rotor diameter) - 24.08m, H - 7.6m
    Weights: 10,690 kg (empty)
    19,051 kg (max loadout)
    Max Speed: 315 kph
    Range: 900 km - with external fuel pods
    Armament: 3 gun ports (port/starboard and rear) :
    m134 7.62mm miniguns and/or .50 M2 HB machine guns
    Avionics: APR-39 Radar Hazard Warning Set
    ALE-39 Chaff and Flare Dispenser
    ALQ-157 Infrared Jammer
    AAR-47 Missile Warning System
    Doppler terrain following/avoidance radar
    Inertial GPS navigation
    Forward Looking Infra Red (FLIR)
    Secure radio communications

The mini-gun was a hoot to fire. :pP_minigun:pRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT

16. krieg

krieg Ace

17. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I miss riding in helicopters LOL. A very different experience from an airplane. Especially when banking and all that is between you and the ground is an open door :eek: LOL.

18. TA152

TA152 Ace

Did'nt they make a three engine version ? I know the Air Force, Navy and Marines used them but I did not keep up with the different versions.

I read that air to air refueling in one was very difficult.

19. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I have not heard of a version with 3 engines. It is a versatile machine and can see how there would be different versions.

Air refueling can be difficult due to the limited space between the refueling pod and the rotor. Less power to the rotors and more to the jets to keep the rotors in a flat horizontal position while the jets provide forward thrust. Usually a KC-130 did the refueling due to the slower speed.

[​IMG]

20. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

IIRC back in the 70s in Arizona the KC-97s stationed there were used for air to air refueling with them.