Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hello from 5th AD member Grandson

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by fisher972002, Dec 24, 2008.

1. fisher972002

fisher972002 Member

Hello
    My Grandfather, Alva L. Grout was in the ETO in WW2. He was a member of Troop D, 3rd Platoon, 85th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, 5th Armored Division, 9th Army at the end of the war. In his original group of 23 men, he is only 1 of 7 orignals, most replacement were put in their Troop at the Battle of the Bulge.

I have many photographs, he made up a book with pictures of the 75 MM howitzer tanks, the track cars, he was at Langensalza airfield with the JU 88's and FW 190's.

I have some photographs through research that I have been able to trace the path. As you know there isn't a lot of information on Reconnaissance Units. Many of the times the Commanders and such didn't know where they were so not a lot of info out there, they were "Patton's Ghosts." He was CW radio operator.

I have detailed info on a small battle in Ernee France, I have a few pictures of him sitting in a B 17 and standing next to a P 51D but the pictures aren't labeled. I would love to know where these pics were taken, but ther isn't any numbers on the B17 and the P 51 I haven't been able to match the color scheme.

But anyways, Let me know if anybody had any relatives in the 85th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron Mech as I have lots of info.

von Poop likes this.
  2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Howdy Fisher and welcome to the forum. If you can post some of those photos, I know many here would appreciate it as well as any of your grandfather's experiences. Glad to have you with us. Happy posting

3. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Welcome Fisher!
    I would love to see those photos too!

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Good to have you here. The pictures you have sound really interesting. if you feel like to share them with us, we'd be honored.

5. krieg

krieg Ace

Welcome to the forum
    you will enjoy your stay here Krieg

6. fisher972002

fisher972002 Member

OK, I think I have some of them in the Albums, see in my profile, thanks for the welcome. I also have an original German Luger pistol that is in perfect condition with the leather case that is in perfect condition and a compass and a german officer map bag that are pretty neat. Some GI's were allowed to put those things in their luggage and bring them back as souveniers. The gun is stamped 1938!

7. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Welcome! You have given us a great introductory post and I look forward to seeing your album! This is a fine place and you will fit in very well!

Cheers!

8. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

Nice to meet you.

9. Karen Burke

Karen Burke New Member

Hello ~ My great uncle was in the battle of Ernee, France. Killed in action on Aug 4th, 1944. Please reply if you are still interested in information and correspondence.

10. RRA227

RRA227 Member

Welcome to the forum. Rich A. in Pa.

11. Aaronzene

Aaronzene New Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

12. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Hi Karen. Unfortunately the OP hasn't been around for nearly ten years. It's unlikely he'll see your post.. That said, it would be good to start your own thread with links to any items you might have.