Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hello from Bavaria

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Gebirgsjaeger, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hi Ken,

Yes its me! Nice to meet you here too!

Ulrich(Gunner/Gebirgsjaeger)

2. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Glad to see that you made it. I have not been here very long but have been impressed with amount of knowledge available and the friendliness of the folks.

Maybe you could post that little Nazi booklet you translated for me?

Talk to you later.

KTK

3. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Thanks Ken, You´re right it is very impressive to read the posts and there are really nice guys ( i am sure girls too ) here on this site. Yes Ken, i´ll ask how i can post it here.

See you

Ulrich

4. Steve Petersen

Steve Petersen Member

Hi Ulrich.

Nice to meet a German here.

I lived in Frankfurt and Wiesbaden for 3 years, courtesy of Uncle Sam, during 1983 to 1986. The best times of my life were in Germany.

We visited Bavaria and Austria in 1984 and were just overwhelmed with the beauty of the area.

As for bier, we drank a lot of Kutscher Alt, and the obligatory Henninger. Put on a lot of weight on the stuff. Much stronger than American beer.

We really got hooked on the wines though. Had a great tour of a vineyard in Nierstein, Weingut Heinrich Braun. Got some wines from 1976. Up to that point, the best vintage in 100 years they told us.

Gruss Gott!

5. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hi Steve,

nice to meet you! Thank you for the welcome.

The area around Frankfurt is nice, my uncle is living at Bruchköbel near Frankfurt.
    Thank you, yes our landscape is really beautyful, i like it. We´re drinking more Wiessbier in Bavaria like the Augustiner and the Franziskaner.
    Nice to hear that you´re interested in German wine. We have some really good stuff
    Heinrich Braun made an good Riesling in 2008. You have an great wine!
    Hope to meet you again at the forum.

Regards

Ulrich

6. Steve Petersen

Steve Petersen Member

I remember a town in Bavaria that I really enjoyed. Rattenberg.

The crystal shops were pretty cool. I seem to remember cobble stone streets. The shops were slightly below street level, so when you opened the door to go in, you stepped DOWN a few steps. There was one shop that had a large window on the street side that had a large, heavy timber window sill. The craftsman worked at a bench right at that window so you could watch them work from on the sidewalk.

Felt like I had stepped out of a time machine.

7. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Steve, i am glad that you have good memories of your time here in Germany!
    Rattenberg is a nice town in the " Bayerischen Wald". There are a lot of glassmaker and artists there.

Regards

Ulrich

8. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Gunner,

The best way is probably to download it to Photoshop or the like and then provide a link or use the share feature.

But there maybe better ways and hopefully someone will inform us if there is.

KTK

9. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hi Ken,

i´ll try it, but in the moment i am not able to send an PM to a mod. I´ll do it as soon as possible.

Regards

Ulrich

10. 36thID

36thID Member

Ulrich.

Wie Gehts !

I had the pleasure of touring the beautiful land and mountains of Bavaria as a 16 year old kid. I also made a trip to Innsbruck. At the time I was working at the Olympics in Munchen in 1972.

Welcome to this forum and please add sein Grossvaters stories !! ( Grandpa's stories )

11. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

Very similar to what my dad thought of Germany. Some of the best times of his life...of course he was young back then too :D He still speaks German to my brother and I and we don't have a clue what he is saying.

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hallo Ulrich, and welcome to this site. I had the pleasure to holiday in Germany from Sept 16th to Oct 15th 2000. I went with my friend Susanne-who is also Bavarian) on tour of a good portion of Germany. We made our way from Frankfurt to Bad Camberg, where we spent two days with most of the living members of U 181 as guests of honor at their reunion. We then went to Bonn, Hagen, Wilhelmshaven, Hamburg (on Saturday of the first week) and also visited: Bremerhaven, Lubeck, Laboe, Goslar, Hamlin, and so many many other places. I loved the scenery, the architecture, the history, the food and most of all, the people I met.

Sorry, I never tried any Bier as im not a drinker, but, I did have some fine Cognac, German Wine, and a drink I never hope to have to drink again--Jagermeister.

We spent time with the U 181 Vets-were made honoraray members of their crew as well as the Kriegsmarine, visited my good friend and Ritterkreuzetrager: Remy Schrijnen and his Wife in Hagen, met some non WWII German Vets in Wilhelmshaven, met more WWII German vets in Bremerhaven, Cuxhaven/Altenbruch and in Laboe. If I ever get th chance to live in Germany, I would probably choose Laboe, Heidelberg, Bremerhaven, Wilhelmshaven or Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Too many areas I visited that I loved so much to be able to choose just one place to live ;-))

Also, while staying at Forsthaus Grasack, we met by accident-a Gebirgsjager RKT by the name of Michael Possinger. That evening, we were invited to have dinner with him at his table. While in Bremerhaven, I met several of the vets who were on U 2540 in WWII. In Altenbruch-we met about 40 more Kriegsmarine vets as well as several men who were in the German Navy in the late 1950s to early 1960s.

That one month is a time I will always cherish and will never forget.

13. 36thID

36thID Member

Carl, I'm with you I could live in Garmish. The deep blue/green lakes, the crystal clean air. Being a German American I could go Tyrolian in a minute !!

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Landscape, landscape.... Stop looking for lame excuses lads, we all know you are after the Mädels and the beer :D

15. Karma

Karma Member

Welcome to the forums Ulrich, looking forward to your contributions.

16. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hello to all of you,

at first i have to say that i am really glad to be a member of this great forum!

@ steve Schaeg

Danke, mir gehts gut!

Wow, working at the Olympics must have been a great honour. Its time to get back to Bavaria and see some more fine places. And from my location you need only 30 minutes by car to be in Austria.

Viele Gruesse

@ Krystal80

maybe that i can help you and your Dad with his questions. It must have been a good time for him! Fine to hear.

Best Regards

@ C.Evans,

thank you for the welcome!
    Is it possible that the reunion of the living crew members of U181 was at a Restaurant near a river, lake or so? I am sure that i´ve seen it at the german TV.
    I am jealous, you met so much of the WWII Vet´s and you heard their very interesting Stories. Most people do not understand what they can tell you as a part of history and are saying very disrespectful "This are stories of old men and their war". Ha ha ha, sorry but it seems you had to drink the badest sort of "Schnaps" we have in Germany! It tastes like a mixture of medicine and cheap alcohol. I prefer the Riesling more than this ugly stuff! Maybe that we can talk a bit of your meetings with the Vet´s?

All the best to you

@ Skipper

Pssst...... don´t betray our secrets! ;-) (landscape= girls, lakes= beer):)

Best regards

@ Karma

thank you much! Hopefully we´ll have some good discussions.

Best Regards

Thank you again!

Regards

Ulrich

17. Obergefreiter

Obergefreiter Member

Hi Ulrich,

as a Prussian, it is an even greater pleasure for me to welcome You on this site!

Wendelin

18. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hi Wendelin,

nice to meet a Prussian over here! At which sector of the Siegfied Line is your location?

Regards

Ulrich

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ulrich,. im on a timed computer so cant say what i wanna so ill be back here later to reply to ya ;-0)

20. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hi C.Evans,

OK, thanks.

Regards

Ulrich