Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help...Fake or real ???

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by deluxearts, Jan 9, 2009.

1. deluxearts

deluxearts recruit

2. dengwill

dengwill Member

Looks pretty real to me, I'm not sure if you can fake rust like that! The guy seems to be selling off his collection and seems pretty genuine. It has been repainted though, so I don't know if that affects anything???

3. deluxearts

deluxearts recruit

thanks...same that I tought...the seller states that it was repainted, but that still its an original...looks pretty real to me specially on the inside ! I would appreciate any other opinions please !

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I suggest you ask the opinion from this site:

Board Message

( militariacollecting.com )

They know, they definitely know...

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Looks good to me. Im no expert but have owned two M-42 shells, and a complete M-35 DD LW Helmet in the past.

6. drgeorge

drgeorge Member

My most recent purchase--it hasn't arrived yet! The seller maintains that it is real even though the price was suspiciously low (5000 HUF=$25). I looked it up on a couple auction sites, and all seems okay, but.....I'd like to ask all of your opinions on the matter!! Still not too late to renig on the sale if there's a problem..........:eek:

Attached Files:

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sorry to say but, your Narvik Shield is crap. Some things to look at are the casting marks on both sides as well as there appears to not be indications that it had four backing prongs. I have two examples of this shield-both Army and Navy examples. I can't post pics of mine to compare with or I would do so- which BTW, have all four prongs intact, as well as their backing plates, backing material and paper.

drgeorge likes this.
  9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

This confirms what I stated, thanks for this second opinion Carl .

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Glad to try to help ;-)) Also, the example you posted a pic of is a nice one-Navy Narvik) and the one I have differs slightly as mine was fire-guilded. Im looking for one that doesn't have a fire-guilded finish to it.

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

So do I, but the net seems to be flooded with fakes. I found three within minutes..... Unfortunately the genuine one I posted is not from my own collection. I posted it for comparison and took it from the internet.

12. drgeorge

drgeorge Member

Thanks for the assistance!! Though I do think that 25 bucks for a nice fake isn't so bad--I may decide to keep it...........we'll see!!

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Skipper, and George,

Skipper, you got that right. The fakes are abounding.

George, I once bought a Silver CCC off ebay for $3 bucks about 10 yrs ago--I knew it was a fake be a fake but wanted it for referance purposes.

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

original narviks will set you back at least 500.00 US, fake badges are nice for hand singed prints like armor or aviation, I had considered purchasing---fake.gag ! a RK for one of my LW pilot pics, I declined as it looks better without it.

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

25 dollars for a repro is okay. It's worth about 12 here though, but with shipping etc... it's not worth going to all this trouble again. I would however report the seller who claimed it is genuine. If he sells repros it's one thing, if he claims they are genuine despite the low price and the different quality then he is a crook.

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

You would absolutely gag at what I paid for mine-of course, this was , about 10 years ago. For both I paid $120.00. The cheaper prices shields will set you back these days-from about $125-$200-depending on their conditions and whom you buy them from? Anyway, the easier ones to get are Army -backed Krim and Kuban Shields.

I've got an Army backed Krim and im waiting to have it confirmed or not that I will soon have an Army backed Kuban Shield to go w/ it ;-))

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

You got this right--it really aint worth buying a repo (unless you REALLY need it?) and then paying high postage costs to go with it.