Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

help ID medal

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by bronk7, Feb 23, 2016.

1. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

I'm going to be showing my stuff off for a school class.....can you help ID this? thanks

Attached Files:

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

and this one?

Attached Files:

3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

4. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

much thanks again..as stated , I want confirmation and as much info as possible before I start talking about these..KK small caliber?? for the Gewehr? the eagle denotes Austria??

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Yes the bicephal eagle is a symbol of the Habsburgs. The red and white are Austria's colours.

[​IMG]

AND Otto used a similar Reichadler symbol as early as 1250

[​IMG]

Both linked together was a convenient "justification" to "prove" austria had always been part of the German sphere while keeping some of the local symbolism too.

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Your Mg is a WW1 O8-15

[​IMG]

7. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

super thanks! ...Schutzen is ''protection'' regiment? is there a better way to put it??...I've got about a 45 minute class to talk about all my stuff......

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

"Defence" would be another possible translation.

9. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

good call..thanks for all your patience with my questions ..I'm really getting a good layout for the kids to experience WW2.....I will have pictures of the memorabilia as seen in WW2 pictures, etc

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Glad I could help.

11. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

I have 1 more I will post.....I traded for it from the original collection.....these others I wanted confirmation, specifics, etc ...much thanks..... this next one is a stumper ..I've been all over looking for it ........no writing on it at all......will post a pic soon.....much thanks

12. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Tell us about your work with the "school class".
    How did you get involved, what grade, etc.

13. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

my daughter is learning about WW2 now and told the teacher I am obsessed with WW2 and I have a lot of WW2 items....I'll say there are millions of aspects, angles, paths, that crisscross in trying to talk about WW2...it was so destructive and reconstructive..so immense .many people are still ''feeling'' its effects, even them!! ..I will talk about a family of Hungarians that were forced to leave Hungary because of the war...they went into Austria, then Germany....after the war, they went to the US....I was lucky to talk to one of these DPS and got a picture of her grandchild.....then I will show them a picture of that girl---my daughter--their classmate.....if it wasn't for WW2, I would not have met my wife..that's the angle I'm doing....only have 45 minutes, I want to do a trivia game also....8th grade

Poppy likes this.
  14. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

The "Schützen Regiment 2." is neither a "Protective"- nor a "Defense"- Regiment but a rifle Regiment. In German language "Schützen" has a dual meaning:

1) "Schützen" or "beschützen", the more modern form, is a verb that means to protect

2) "Schützen", plural of "Schütze", this is a noun that can have two different meanings either a shooter, a person who is firing a firearm, or a member of the armed forces, a rifleman.

The second medal was given a s a souvenir to the participants for a small bore rifle shooting contest. KK = Klein Kaliber = small bore.

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Yes this dual sense is also encountered in the Dutch "SCHUTTER".

If you need more ethymology for your class and linquistics here ar emy 2 cents:

In Dutch There is even an older meaning for the term schutter which was a job for men who had to shoot cattle on the loose . This is obsolote nowadays but explains the farmer willing to PROTECT himself while SHOOTING/CAPTURING cattle ( SCHUTTEN SCHÜTZEN) .

The term was later used for professionnals (ak soldiers and amateurs the etymology says "non professional militair")

http://www.johjvisser.nl/genealogieVHBS/beroepen/schutter.htm

http://www.margret.nl/beroepen.html#s
    [​IMG]

In fact the real definition would be someone who shoots ("iemand die schiet") which could refer to a rifle , a bow or another shooting weapon.

The term Schütze is encountered both in German and Dutch as early as 1285 as "bow shooter "persoon dat schiiet"

http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/schutter

In Latin SCUTO (means shield = protection)

Sagitarius /bow shooter = Schütze in German too.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sch%C3%BCtze_(Tierkreiszeichen)

16. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

much thanks all and as usual, all information very interesting.......is the KK medal for just military, no?

17. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Show them the mickey mouse gas masks kids had to try on back in the day.
    And the school drill where they'd have to hide under their desks when the Ruskies dropped a nuke.
    That should sober 'em up.
    Then tell them, when you were their age, how far you had to walk to buy cows milk in a snowstorm. Kids eat that stuff up.
    http://www.guns.com/2014/08/28/mickey-mouse-gas-masks-6-photos/

18. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

great ideas Poppy....very good.....and witty as usual....it would be good to have some masks and have them try to imagine being attacked..but parents might not like that