Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help Identify - Sight or Scope, of unknown purpose

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Grexrell, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Grexrell

Grexrell recruit

Hi

I'm trying to identify the purpose and or use of some sort of sight or scope.

Heres a picture of it:
    (although a bad one from another site, ask and I can and will take better ones)
    http://www.qcmilitaria.com/bins/bin22.jpg
    The site whose photo I've linked here is selling one as well, but they don't have much information on it.

Their description:
    Mine is very similar, the Text on mine reads:
    (left to right, top to bottom)
    Inner () 100 Knots
    A.P.G344**
    Outer () 200 Knots
    M.S.C 1944
    SER. NO. CAN. 111
    (Can't see an A.B. No. On mine)

The () of the text is a small circle with a dot in the center, I think it represents the cross like hairs you see when you look through it.

Note: Minor point, but I'd like to be as accurate as I can. The text that you can sort of see in the photo is larger and more white coloured then the text on mine. The text on mine is more compact, and copper coloured.

When you look through it there's a set of crosshairs that run top to bottom side to side.
    And two circles. The two circles are connected by the crosshairs and other lines that split the space between the two circles into 12 parts

The part of it with the chain coming off it (lower left in photo) has a screw cap on it, although it doesn't connect into the sight (I:E you don't look through it)
    I'm guessing its some sort of mounting point.
    (although when you look inside it with the right light you can see a rectangle with rounded corners at the bottom, looks different, may be glass, or simply some recessed shiny metal)
    You can see threads inside near the bottom.

Update: I just did a test on it. In a dark room, when looking through it you can't see the crosshairs, or at least not clearly. BUT you can shine a light up (or down, depending on how you hold it) the 'mounting point' and the crosshairs light up. So I'm guessing this was useful at night etc.. and the mounting point on whatever this mounted on had a built in light, and switch.

The other two ends have metal caps that you slip on and off. The longer end (far right in photo) is marked as "EYE END"
    When you look down it there is SOME magnification but it seems subtle when compared to something like a telescope.

I can't find any additional markings on it other then 2 sets of three characters. One set just on the T part/Mounting end just before the metal gets thicker. And the other set is on the section of metal that gets thicker (cap screws onto thicker metal piece)
    The upper set faces you when the longer end is to your left. and the lower set faces you (although not perfectly aligned) when you look through the wrong end of it)
    Both markings seem to say the same thing.
    Either LLL or LL1 or 111 or something along those lines.

Any and all help, suggestions, links, clues, and ideas would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find information on this online (other then that one site with the photo above)

Also, if anyone could help me find any additional Sites/Forums where I might be able to look this up, or post questions about it, that would be great too.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

-Lem

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Could it be a ancestor of infa red binoculars for night vision in the navy?

3. Grexrell

Grexrell recruit

Thanks Skipper67 for the reply, but I doubt it.

For one thing, the magnification really isn't good, and that's when comparing it between looking with and without it at an object 5 feet away.

And only the crosshairs light up, nothing else, if your looking into the night, the only thing the light can do to help you is allow you to have the crosshairs to compare the whatever with. Possibly a plane or ship? The inner/Outer circle = 100/200 knots seemed to suggest to me it was used to compare speed or something, although isn't 100 knots too fast for a ship? (100 knot = 185 kph / 115mph)

And other than the removable caps, there are ZERO movable parts, everything is solid (not seized) and doesn't suggest any kind of adjustment or movement, and the mounting end is the only part with threads or suggestion that it was part of something else, so an attachment to make it see further into darkness (or further at all) doesn't look like it was ever part of it.

Still no luck in Identifying it...

Maybe it was a sight or something for a flak gun?

Does anyone know of another WII forum that might help me I.D this?

Thanks for your help

-Lem

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hmm a Flak measure instrument could be the right lead. I will ask around. I don' tknow about others forums, but I you wait a few days I'm almost certain we"ll meet someone who has more elements .

5. BluB

BluB recruit

6. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

7. private1

private1 recruit

I am also looking for info on these scopes I have two types
    ALDIS Gunsight ing Telescope Illuminated Pattern G 344*
    and ALDIS Gunsight ing Telescope Illuminated Pattern G 344**

the difference been the pattern one has ** and the other has only one *

here are some pictures of them and the difference in cross hairs.

IMGP0264.jpg picture by onceoffdeals - Photobucket&

IMGP0265.jpg picture by onceoffdeals - Photobucket&

IMGP0266.jpg picture by onceoffdeals - Photobucket&

IMGP0268.jpg picture by onceoffdeals - Photobucket&

8. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

sniper1946 likes this.
  9. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert