Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help identifying this cap badge

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by perryf, Nov 27, 2017.

1. perryf

perryf New Member

73B828EF-A615-479D-BE00-AC1F267D0E45.jpeg 5E0AC5CE-D1AC-4113-A339-E76BB07B6863.jpeg hi, my grandpa served in ww2 in the Us navy, and found a hat with this badge on it while serving. He brought it back to the US and had stitched it onto many hats until he died in 1995. My grandma this past thanksgiving found the hat and gave it to me. The hat is from the 90’s I presume, but can anyone help identify the badge? What country? I’ve tried googling but haven’t found anything exact. The closest I found was a soviet naval badge. Any help would be appreciated!

2. lwd

lwd Ace

My first thought was Soviet as well but they often included a star or other Soviet symbol. Do you know anything more about his service? That might provide a clue. Except for the crown it might be the Danish badge shown here:
    DANISH NAVY OFFICERS CAP BADGE PROBABLY ENGLISH MADE WW2 PERIOD | eBay
    Here's another very similar one with the sloped anchor arms and double circles at the top
    Redirect Notice
    The wreath looks almost identical as well. Could be the same bade with the crown removed.
    This one is also similar and is id'd as an Australian Merchant Marine Officers badge.
    Redirect Notice
    If it's Australian some of our members from there should be confirming shortly.

**** edit for ***
    A number of similar badges from across the commonwealth are on this page:
    merchant ship cap badges world war 2 - Google Search
    If my dad was still around he might even recognize it. ....

3. perryf

perryf New Member

It’s definitely the merchant cap badge minus the crown. He was an engineer I believe. Thank you for the quick response!!

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Not Australian military...probably not Australian merchant either, unless theres more taken off...