Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help Identifying Two WWII German Artifacts

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by 17kenp, Jun 24, 2015.

1. 17kenp

17kenp New Member

Hello, I am new to ww2f.com, this being my first post. I'm a young collector just starting off in this field, but I have always had a strong interest in WWII history. I recently made my first purchases of WWII collectibles and was hoping members here with experience can tell me more about the items' history, the unit featured on the ID disc, and perhaps the authenticity of the items. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Skipper is our resident expert on memorabilia. I hope he sees this and comments on your purchases.

3. Takao

Takao Ace

4. 17kenp

17kenp New Member

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it! Would Skipper mind if I send him a message asking him to check it out?

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hello, you have the remains of a first class Eizerkreuz . The rim is in good shape because it's silver, it could possible still have a marking code engraved. The middle part is more damaged because it's metal (it used to be black). The parts go together like a sandwich with the iron in the middle. Your cross is 3rd Reich (1939 dated) because WWI (1914 dated ) and earlier ones do not have the swastika. It is possible that you have parts from two several crosses, because you seem to have two metal parts and only one silver rim. The value is symbolic because these relics have probably been buried for decades and have suffered badly.

The dog tag (identification tag) is quite interesting. SS Panzer Grenadiere tags are quite popular among collectors. This being said, many copies circulate on the net, so be careful . I have never seen a real tag like this in my life, so be prepared to be told it could be a copy.

[​IMG]

First class (no ring around the silver ).

[​IMG]

second class (ring on rim)

6. 17kenp

17kenp New Member

Is it possible that the Iron Cross was burned, perhaps taken from a dead German soldier? The box it came it labeled it as a "burned remains of German Iron Cross". Is there any way to tell between it being burnt or rusted/buried in the dirt?

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I think it may be both, burnt and rusted, hard to tell...

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hmm, the rusts clearly shows it is long term . The burning could mean anything. Many crosses were simply thrown away after V.E. day when soldiers burnt their uniforms to avoid identification and or capture. It could even have been done recently on a piece of rust to give it a "story".