Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help if possible with German Caps and Helmets

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by desertt, Nov 30, 2007.

1. desertt

desertt Member

Hello, I am putting on a couple of Url's that can be copied and pasted in your brower to see some pictures of helmets and caps that I would like help if possible identifying.... This is just one, more to follow, a friend want me to help him sell or determine value on them... Thanks so much!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cf11b3127cceb1e63e08becd00000020100AbNmTdmzZM2Ng

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cf11b3127cceb1e63ef8be3d00000020100AbNmTdmzZM2Ng

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cf11b3127cceb1e63ed93f2c00000020100AbNmTdmzZM2Ng

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The pics look too small to really see. Carl (C.Evans) would be one to help you.

3. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Welcome to the forum desertt.

As Slipdigit has mentioned your pictures are very small, if you post larger photos it would be a great help in identification.

The third photo in particular looks very interesting.

4. desertt

desertt Member

Thank you for looking, I have resized the pictures and lets see if this helps!! Appreciate any help you may have... Let's see if these attachments work better..

Attached Files:

5. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

The helment appears to be that of a fire fighting unit. The middle item states this "Freiwillinge Feuerwerk" is basically volunteer firefighter in English. Not sure about the third item.

6. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

I've never seen that type of comb on top of a helmet, it's very unusual ...:confused:

The photo below is of the standard German wartime fire helmet.

Attached Files:

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The Gentlemen above are correct.

This helmet is one that is a Volunteer Firefighters helmet. It is Austrian or at least Austrian made. The helmet was made by the firm of: Karl F. Weinberger located on: Wilhelminenstrasse 20a. The helmet is a size 56 which is kinds of small but is still Okay.

The better description for this is in the other thread about helmets. ;-))

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The helmet pictured in this post is a German Fireman's helmet. The comb is of the type i've seen on this kind of helmet. This helmet is older than the Austrian-but I don't know its exact age. These were worn before, during and after WWII. I think I have 1-2 photos somewhere that shows a female firefighter wearing this helmet.

It takes me forever sometimes to get copies of some of my photos made-just ask White Flight ;-)) Anyway, I think i do have one-or-two pics showing this style of helmet.

9. desertt

desertt Member

All of your input and help is fabulous and I really appreciate it... I have more caps and helmets coming and will put pictures here if that is OK.. It's a whole new education for me. I will try to get more info. from the owner as to where this fire helmet came from and maybe then I can determine a value??? Since I have not found one like it anywhere I guess that can be good or bad, right???

10. desertt

desertt Member

Would love to get my hands on a picture of this helmet!!

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Teresa, im looking forward to seeing what else you will be posting and will try to help you if I can.

That's true, if you can find provinance on objects, they can be worth more. I used to have an Indian Wars US Cavalry Parade Helmet (which looks almost exactly like the Britich Police "Bobby" Helmets) and I found the man's name inside (Ryan) to be exact, and researched it and found that the helmet I had, had belonged to a man with that last name of Ryan, and also what Cavalry unit he was in. I'd bought this helmet for about $125.00 and was able to sell it for about $700.00 because I could prove who it had belonged to and what unit he was in and what year he served in that unit. I probably could have sold it for more than I did but, making a $550.00 dollar profit was good enough. This helmet now resides in the history collection of a Museum I used to volunteer for.

12. desertt

desertt Member

Hello Again, I just took another picture of the back of the helmet since their is a name there. I cannot read it but maybe someone here can!! I will be placing this on E-bay Wed or Thurs and see what happens so any backup info would be appreciated... Also I still have not found a picture anywhere... any help there??

I am taking pictures tomorrow of the other caps and helmets my friend has and will post those as well..
    Teresa

Attached Files:

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Teresa, sorry but I can't make out the writing either. Possibly Erich can read it?