Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help in finding Grandfathers records

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by littleelvis, May 17, 2010.

  1. littleelvis

    littleelvis recruit

    May 17, 2010
    Likes Received:
    I just found out that my grandfather served in WWII and was involved in the Battle of the Bulge. He was wounded and received the purple heart and was sent back as an interperter because he spoke Low German and High German. I don't know what that really means yet. I always new he was enlisted but did not know he actually fought. How can I find out more information. My family does not seem to know much about it. Thanks for any help or advice.
  2. Fgrun83

    Fgrun83 Member

    Apr 7, 2009
    Likes Received:
    if you know his name, and what state he was in, i think state may matter depending on the name and date of birth, it is possible to pull up his enlistment card, it doesnt have much info on it, but then you can use most of the info on there to help filling out the sf-180(standard form 180) and apply for his records,

    Most of the wwii personnel records were destroyed in a fire, but hopefully they can assist you with his discharge papers, or what ever they may have left.

    But if you know his name and dob, or whatever you may have maybe we can pull up his enlistment record.

Share This Page