Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

HELP ME ID THIS PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by jaya8402, Jul 6, 2009.

1. jaya8402

jaya8402 recruit

Hi, I am a firefighter in Tiverton, RI. We were called to a scene today for an aerial bomb that was uncovered and I cant find any infomration on it. The bomb squad leader said he believed it to be a WWII Aerial Ordinance, its about 8 inches long, any information or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Jay :confused:

Attached Files:

2. zippo

zippo Member

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

4. texson66

texson66 Ace

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The shape fits with U.S. rounds , but they usually have more finns on the tail section. What about a Russian cold war area Mortar used in Korea? The simple conception makes me think of something from the East block . This is a guess as well, not a certitude, it's hard to guess with the rust and without knowing weight and dimensions.

Here is a pic of modern Russian mortars and they look quite familiar.

[​IMG]

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Could be a WWII practice bomb. I can't see it well enough to say but, we used to find these al the time near and around Rivera Beach when I was in the Boy Scouts and when our troop uised to go camping near there. We found several of these complete and broken-and they were about 9 inches long. If you have or had a NAS or AAC training base somewhere in the area during the war-these could quite possibly be a training bomb.

7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

Navy Practice Bomb?
    3 lb. Mks. 3, 4; AN Mk 5 and AN-Mk 23, 43
    8.25 in.
    2.18 in.

8. spotter

spotter Member

USA practice airdropped bomb ,would have/could still contain a spotting charge

Attached Files:

zippo likes this.
  9. zippo

zippo Member

That spotting bomb may be it. The tail fins seem to come up the cylinder a bit higher than the mortar round.

10. spotter

spotter Member

These practice bombs are often mis identified as mortar rounds,the easiest way to tell the difference is look closely between the tail fins, if there are no flash holes it is a practice airdrop bomb,see the attatched images to compare,This can be difficult to see if the item is corroded ,please note these practice bombs come in a variety of mks and materials (steel ,alloys etc etc) but all look virtually the same.
    If this link works scroll to the bottom of the page and you will be able to get more info on the various mks of these http://maic.jmu.edu/ordata/searchresults.asp?page=3

Attached Files:

11. delta36

delta36 Member

A bigger picture would be nice...

12. zippo

zippo Member

Nice comparrison pictures Spotter.

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Yup. I know for a fact that Navy & Marine pilots training at NAS Corpus Christi, NAS Kingsville and NAS Chase Field in Beeville, used to drop "Mortar Round-sized solid iron practice bombs over an area near and at where Loyola Beach is located. We used to find whole and parts of thes practice bombs in the wooded area not far from the beach. Unfortunately, I was not interested in such things at the time and never kept any for myself.

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

It's been something like30++ years since I last saw any practice bombs but your photo to the left looks like what I remember that we used to find at and near Loyola Beach.

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I also find it a bit wierd and funny at the same time that a person comes here taking the time to register and all-asks for help and doesn't even come back to say anything.

No offense meant to the so far one - time poster.

16. zippo

zippo Member

Same here. Some 13 responses and no reply. Oh well, fun investigation anyway.

17. lwd

lwd Ace

I suspect somebody needed a real quick answer and he or his helpers scattered info request across a fair number of web sites (although I didn't see any others). They either got an answer at one of the others or events over took the need.

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

and did not say thank you...

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Could be a mixture of the reasons you Gents listed but, If I ask help on something-the least I can do is to acknowledge my appreciation for such help.

20. jaya8402

jaya8402 recruit

Hi let me appologize to those that i offended, i had a family emergency that i have been dealing with and have not had a chance to get on the computer for the last week.... with that being said.... I do appreciate the info that everyone has been able to come up with and appologize again.

We have a Naval Base about 15 miles to the south of us, unfortunately I have no other pictures.

With talking to people around town they informed me that these "shells" use to be found all over the coast. The one thing that does confuse me is the State Bomb technician said that he believed it to have been live at one point but after sitting for so long was not a threat. Would this still be a practice round if it was considered live at one time, or was it designed to look like a real round?

The only other description i have is when the bomb tech was done doing his thing there was a hole in the nose of the "device" where he said the munition would be packed into and he said it had a tail that would let out a phosphorus cloud to watch where it landed.

I am sorry with my terminology, i am very unfamiliar with these, but also very intrigued now!