Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help on medal from SA tunic

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by WWII Collector, Aug 20, 2010.

1. WWII Collector

WWII Collector Member

Good day to you all.

As the title already says I recently bought a SA tuniek buyt now I see he's missing a medal does anyone has any ideas of what medals were placed there ? I marked the place with a red circle.

[​IMG]

Already many thanks for your help.

Greetings
    Thomas

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Possibly missing is maybe something like the Hitler Jugend Proficiency Runes badge???

The photo is too small for me to make out what badges are on your tunic so please forgive if you have a Proficiency Runes badge already on the tunic. The other thing cold be an SA Wound BAdge?? Im not keen on SA-just the Wehrmacht stuff.

3. WWII Collector

WWII Collector Member

No he doesn't have that so it'll probably be that thanks for your help. :)

I'll add a bigger picture of the awards he has:

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

What about the HJ member badge?

[​IMG]

5. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Quite welcome;-))

7. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

Wait, wait wait...what is a SA wound badge? Am I missing something here? The area was likely used for a day badge or a Nuremberg rally badge. The horse riders badge was something that would have been found on SS uniforms and Political Leaders...especially officers. Equestrian sports awards were usually found on the upper class and not generally on a 'beer hall fighter' of the SA. I would put my money on a TDA tinnie or a Nuremberg rally badge.

8. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

This would be darn near impossible given the other two awards on the brown shirt. The DRA sports badge and the WW1 cut out silver wound badge would sugesst a WW1 veteran...not an HJ member.

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

No i misspoke. I meant their version of a badge for war wounded. Sorry I didnt correct it earlier. The badge in misquote is the one with sword in middle pointing upwards. Like I said, I dont collect non military stuff and might not be up to proper lingo on them.

10. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

The SA-Wehrabzeichen fur Kriegsversehrte was introduced on 8 October 1943.

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi CC, Ok but, that doesnt mean that it was not awarded to the guy who wore the tunic that Thomas has.

PS, ive proven CG wrong in the past on Boards, tabs and yes,an OS cap.

12. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

Are you suggesting that this guy was wearing this tunic in late 1943/44? He would have had to of been wounded between 1939-1943 in order to qualify for this award...

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Good point collector, so he had to be an older guy mid 40s or more. What about a 1st class E.K ? would that be worn on the left under the other badges?

14. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

That raises another good point Skipper...I am starting to doubt that the DRA was originally in the current place that it is. The EK1 would take priority and be at the top center...the wound badge would be where it is and the DRA would go in the now vacant spot. It would most likely be a WW1 EK1.

I could not see any loops though in the spot where the OP circled...this is what leads me to believe that it was most likely a day badge that was pined into place.

Upon further review...it doesn't look like there are any loops on this tunic at all....are the badges stuck through holes in the pocket?

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi CC, im not suggesting anything and dont need words put into my mouth. All im trying to do is to give an idea of what possibly could have been there. I never said it had to be that badge0just a possibility. Heck, the guy could have had something else there that we have not covered-somthing party related perhapse. Im not talking about the party badge but maybe some other badge like the Kolberg Badge-or something along those lines? or even a Freikorps Badge???

Without more to go on, all were doing is guessing and hoping our guessing isnt too far off the mark. Like I said before, im into Military stuff, not other Orgs stuff so I dont proclaim to be an expert in any or every field. All I know is what ive learned from other longtime collectors-right or wrong? and also from the materials ive been able to afford.

Now for the OS cap, thats different.

Im done with this thread.

16. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

Again...I am not guessing here...you seem to be pulling awards from thin air that have little to no chance to being worn on this brown shirt. The Coburg badge wasn't even worn on that pocket...

I am basing my theory on how awards were allowed to be worn...the time period for this piece and the fact that there doesn't seem to be any REAL period sewn loops on the pockets at at! If that were the case you would have an original brown shirt that has been damaged by someone down the line simply for the sake of adding awards to it that didn't belong there in the first place!

Again...I never took a personal shot at you but you seem to have a real problem with me....I wish I knew why.

Rich

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Keep it gentle guys . There is nothing personnal going on here. I'm glad collector pointed out some incoherences, on the contrary.

18. fischer

fischer Member

Hi Guys

IMO it will be tough to figure out what award this one is missing.

As stated, it could be an WW1 EK1 and as stated the DRA would not be in the correct position on the tunic pocket. The EK1 would be worn at the top with the DRA off to the side. WB is in it's correct position.

Another possibility is a SA-Sportabzeichen is the missing award. If so this award would have been placed off to the side where the missing badge is indicated.
    My opinion is it was a SA-Sportsabz.

Best Regards, fischer

19. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

Hey Fischer,

If the SA-Sportabzeichen was the missing badge it would take priority over the DRA badge. The SA-Sportabzeichen was issued between 1934-1938...later becoming the SA-Wehrabzeichen in 1939 until the end of the war. The DRA and later the DRL would always be in the lower left position if the SA-Sportabzeichen was the priority award. In the event that the WWI wound badge is correct to this brown shirt then he would not have had both the DRA and the sportsbadge...

You really could do a few things with the current set up...it is really up to the brown shirts owner.

I'd still like to know if there are any period sewn loops on it...I can not see any. In that case it should not have any awards on it at all.

Rich