Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help the World War II Wiki

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Fargo, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Fargo

Fargo Active Member WW2|ORG Editor

Hello everyone!

In the past I've come here many times to request help with research and generally browse the forums. Today, I need help once again. I've been working on the World War II Wiki (link below) for a couple years now and the biggest problem I've faced is getting dedicated editors to stay with us and continue to edit. More often than not, we get a couple of people who make about five edits and leave. What we need are people who are willing to put in the hours to do real work for the sake of public knowledge. Thusly, I've come here, the home of many fellow WWII historians to place my request for help. Editing for the wiki is fairly straightforward and I am always available to help new users. Editing is not the only way to help out the wiki however, we also highly value people who are good community organizers or graphic artists. Thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to donate their time to help us and those who stopped to read this.

Link: http://world-war-2.wikia.com

belasar likes this.
  2. Tre Kronor

Tre Kronor New Member

Maybe I could help you. I noticed that no W-SS units were represented. Although Iam an amateur, I know some people that have extensive knowledge in some specific aspects of the war. And I myself actually do have enough knowledge to contribute. With sources.

3. Fargo

I think that editing for the wiki should be even simpler now due to the fact that we are incorporating proper historical essays into our main content. So all the great analyses that you can see on these forums are examples of what kind of content we are looking for.

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I applaud your efforts and would like to help you, but time is an issue with me.

5. Fargo

Thank you nonetheless.

6. Fargo

We finally updated our logo to something that I personally think will be our permanent logo and we opened our twitter account if these interest anyone else in joining or at least viewing the wiki.

7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Good luck with your effort. If there's anything on Hyperwar you need to help with the wiki, feel free to take it, no asking needed.

8. Fargo

Thanks.

9. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Would love to contribute, unfortunately time doesn't allow it

10. Fargo

It doesn't allow it for most, sadly.

11. Fargo

Since I'd rather not create a new thread, I'm posting here to let everyone know that we are now hosting an improvement drive to reach 1,600 articles by Christmas. There are wiki rewards for those who contribute the most and some of them (custom WWII avatar and or user banner) would also be usable here as recognition for your contributions. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Link for more information: http://world-war-2.wikia.com/wiki/World_War_II_Wiki:Sign-up_Sheet

12. Fargo

Again, I'm not going to create a new thread, but I will revive this one because it is still relevant. We are really trying to expand our article coverage from the more common articles about weapons and such (e.g. 'Panzer IV', 'Bren Light Machine Gun', etc.) to articles about harder to find things such as uniforms, tactics, munitions, orders of battle, etc. I have seen some great posts here on this forum that generally fit the bill for what we are looking for. And so I ask for help, we really need all the help we can get.

13. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Active Member

Bridlington East Riding Yorkshire England
    As with your thread on WW2Talk I must say I cannot get beyond your terms of use and questionnaires - I just want something I can access and read.

There are so many sources of information available and I find most of what I need elsewhere. You do seem a long way off what others are offering.

Just more duplication?

Brian

14. Fargo

Out of curiosity, what is it in the terms of use that annoys you so much and where are these questionnaires?

15. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Im a bit surprised LWD hasn't spoken up...seems ripe for the job...always has sources and good clean knowledge.

LWD... LWD! Lewdy! Where are you...?

16. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Active Member

Bridlington East Riding Yorkshire England
    Fargo just visit your own site - from the first page, pop ups on terms of use and a questionnaire. Brian

17. Fargo

I turned off adblock and I see what you mean. Just know that none of that is intended by us. Sadly, our host has been pushing our content into a smaller and smaller area while increasing the area of ad space. We are a project that is built on the dedication of our contributors, so it is difficult to pay for ad-free hosting.

18. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

I would like to help you with your WW2 wiki but my issue is time unfortunately. I'm a graduate this year so I have to study more than usual so I don't have much time.

19. Fargo

I'm reviving this thread for the new year. We still need contributors as much as ever!

20. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I supported this wikia effort until the WW2 Open Resource Group got going.

I like the intent of your effort, but why support an encyclopedia for Wikia.com who have no interest in WW2 (and hit you with a pop-up advert immediately), over our own in WW2 encyclopedia at WW2.ORG benefiting & supported by people with actual WW2 interest?