Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help Title a New Book

Discussion in 'Quill and Ink' started by sdmahaneysc, Nov 15, 2014.

1. sdmahaneysc

sdmahaneysc New Member

For some time now I have been working on a book, a bit of historical fiction, written as a collection of reports from a war correspondent. The operating premise is that American and allied forces did invade Japan in late 1945 (having decided to keep atomic weapons for military use instead of bombing cities).

It's about time to start marketing the work, as the 70th anniversary of everything approaches. I have a question for you about the final title of the work. As it is set in the invasion of the southernmost Japanese home island, the obvious (to me) title is "Kyushu Diary" (with a nod to Richard Tregaskis' Guadalcanal Diary).

What about it? Have you even heard of Kyushu, or had any idea where it is? What about the more general public? While the target audience is definitely 'armchair generals' and military history buffs, it would be nice to see some wider appeal. This is a potential story that needs to be considered, especially as people re-open the old dropping-the-bombs debate next year.

2. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

The American common man is unlikely to place it. Histories being generally concerned with the major battles and less so with the supporting areas.

A few options

"Without Hiroshima"

Basically using the well known name Hiroshima to gather attention and get people to look at the book.

"Marching on Japan."

3. sdmahaneysc

sdmahaneysc New Member

Thank you for the direct suggestions!

I really want to dodge the whole Hiroshima debate, which is so well worn and already a closed case in my book. At the same time, this is part of the debate - one of the entirely unpleasant alternatives, and I wouldn't mind riding the coat-tails of public awareness.

The book and its surrounding media are meant to be all in-universe, discussing the invasion as history and not an alternative. The subtitle was going to spell things out some, but it's getting wordy - "Front Line Journalism from Walter F. Tuttle at the Invasion of Japan and the Dawn of Nuclear Warfare, 2nd edition, annotated."

And there will be mushroom clouds* in the cover art somehow.

Still the short title matters. Perhaps "Burning Sun"? [though I see that's a new movie]

Something like "Fall of Japan" is out, simply becasue in this scenario we don't win. At the end of the story there's a stalemate and I have no idea what happens after that.

[* yes, multiple, see: http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/?t=09693b997a65c2031078a71d043827ee ]

4. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

Perhaps something along the lines of

"Japan Unbowed"

"Fortress Japan"

Unfortunately I keep trying to convey that in order to make future generations feel better about themselves the foot soldiers have to suffer and die. This doesn't translate well into a 3 word title. :)

Still there's nothing wrong with your original title. It's just that the region is not instantly identifiable. Perhaps along with the nuclear explosions on the cover having a picture of japan as a whole would be clarification enough.

sdmahaneysc likes this.
  5. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

".The Setting Sun "............................LOL

bronk7 likes this.
  6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Operation "JapanLord"

Target: Japan

The Occupied Empire

The Empire struck back

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Japan's Last Stand

Japan at Last!

Dagger/Bullet in a Samurai's Heart

The Second D-Day

Japan's Darkest Day

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hero hit though

9. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

In the Shadow of an Empire.

10. Cadillac

Cadillac Member

Shores of the Rising Sun
    The Destroyer of Worlds (after Dr. Oppenheimer's quote)

I'll add more as I think of em.

11. sdmahaneysc

sdmahaneysc New Member

Not that it's a done deal yet, but I did register kyushuwardiary.com today. :)

And it should point to the preliminary sketch of the project web site (at a free Wordpress site for now until it gets a permanent home).

12. sdmahaneysc

sdmahaneysc New Member

Hello again! Been busy arguing with the proofreader about comma placement, and writing more than I realized was left to go.
    I've also been waiting semi-patiently on the cover designer, but now have something to show and the project web site is live.
    http://www.xdayjapan.com

Yep, that's the title. But to be sneaky it's presented as if "Kyushu Diary" was really published in 1946, and the new book title is a wrapper around it, to capitalize on the 70th anniversary of everything. I think it's just what some greedy publisher would do. Oh, that's me!

CAC likes this.
  13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Nice work mate...well done.

14. Cadillac

Cadillac Member

Just signed up for an advance copy!

sdmahaneysc likes this.
  15. sdmahaneysc

sdmahaneysc New Member

Please check your email for something from "updates@xdayjapan.com"! The mail host requires a confirmation reply to add people to a list. I don't show any new addresses in the last couple days.

16. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

belatedly American Banzai! Skipper's ''Empire'' and GTs ''Setting Sun'' are very good

sdmahaneysc likes this.
  17. sdmahaneysc

sdmahaneysc New Member

Check your email - we need a mailing address. :cool:

18. sdmahaneysc

sdmahaneysc New Member

Hey everyone, the book X-Day: Japan will hit all the retail sites any minute.
    Before the official launch I want to offer something people at all the forums which were helpful during production.
    Get the e-book for 99 cents at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/553709, enter coupon code BG88F for $3.00 off.
    Get the print book for $7.99 at https://www.createspace.com/5425704, use code B7LPRXRE for $6.00 off.

These source sites will only be up for a week or two, so get the deal now.

Thanks again!

ps - the official preview, which is more than just the first portion of the book, can be fetched at www.xdayjapan.com.
    View attachment 22658

Attached Files:

McCabe likes this.
  19. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

*In Japan, the fight goes on"

Ron